RE: [XTalk] Re: Proof

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 104 , Sep 2, 2002
      Mike Grondin says:

      >>In general, it seems to me that the model of statistical analysis that
      you're using just isn't adequate to account for the use of probability in
      historical hypotheses.<<

      Maybe it could be turned around and stated as "the use of probability in
      historical hypotheses does not adequately employ (standard) models for
      statistical analysis."

      Mike, your major in college was "Logic" I believe. However, since your
      primary employment is programming, I am not sure whether you were involved
      in the logic of programming more than the kind of logic we are speaking
      about here. Still, can you (or Bob S., who has obviously been doing his
      homework) suggest reading that might help all of us "bring ourselves
      up-to-date" with regard to the relationships between inference, deductive
      and inductive reasoning, and probability?

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University