RE: More Re: [XTalk] Violence

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 104 , Aug 10, 2002
      Steve Black says:

      >>I have to say that this [i.e., rather harsh anti Judaic statements in a
      document considered Judaic] speaks IN FAVOUR of a "Judaic" (a slightly
      problematic term, as it seems to have geographic significance which might be
      misleading) background.<<

      I do not have a problem with acknowledging that inter-religious
      disagreements, even within a closely knit ethnic group, can be pretty
      fierce. The Qumran sectarian literature is evidence of that. But what I
      think odd is *how* that disagreement is expressed in the NT.

      To be honest, to really do this issue justice would require that experts
      comb the available ancient Judaic literature (DSS, MT, Lxx, pseudepigrapha,
      Hellenistic Jewish literature, Mishna, etc) and analyze the way that
      opponents are demonized and spoken of. Then we would also need comparative
      material, such as from the NHL, or Greek and Latin sources, for confirmation
      or contrast.

      I wonder if any such studies are already done, or in the works?

      Later today I may be able to summarize Birger Pearson on the polemical or
      anti-Jewish statements of Jewish Gnostics, which might shed some light. My
      initial impression is that they attack the religion, not the ethic
      composition, of Jews. There are statements in the NT, especially in the
      Pauline epistles, that seem to attack Jews as an ethnic group. Even the
      Jewish Gnostics did not seem to hate their own Jewishness in this way.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University