RE: More Re: [XTalk] Violence

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 104 , Aug 10, 2002
      >Dave Hindley
      >...using them [Karel's assumptions of the "Judaic" origins of the
      >NT] brings along all sorts of complications and paradoxes (such as
      >how a document can be Judaic and still express some
      >rather harsh anti Judaic statements).

      I have to say that this speaks IN FAVOUR of a "Judaic" (a slightly
      problematic term, as it seems to have geographic significance which
      might be misleading) background. How often is it that those who are
      closest ideologically battle the more than those who are further
      apart. True Xn's and Muslims have fought, but not with the same
      "staying" power as have Protestants and Catholics (or "liberals" and
      "conservatives", or etc etc etc). Two different types of Baptist very
      well might battle more fiercely then a Baptist might against some
      other denomination. Fights WITHIN the household are often far more
      fierce than those without! Look at how the Sadducees are condemned by
      every *Jewish* source we have (I include the XN ones - which shows
      where I stand on this issue). So in short, I have no problem at all
      understanding how a...

      >document can be Judaic and still express some
      rather harsh anti Judaic statements).

      In fact it seems more coherent to me than the alternative.
      --
      Steve Black
      Vancouver School of Theology

      Once in a while you can get shown the light
      in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

      -Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University