Re: [XTalk] Works of the First Two Centuries

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2002
      Peter Kirby wrote:

      > Is there any other outsider of the first two centuries who mentioned
      > Jesus or
      > Christians? My memory wants to say something about a poet or a Stoic,
      > but I am
      > not sure.

      Fronto, Marcus Aurelius' tutor?

      > What about lost books known to have been written by 200? I won't set
      > up a
      > separate page for each, but it would be nice to have a list of
      > mentioned lost
      > works.

      Have a look at chapter 16 in the Goodspeed/Grant intro to the NT. And
      adaptation of this appears at:

      http://216.239.51.100/search?hl=en&q=cache:17vc1yveFwQC:http://www.math.byu.edu/~smithw/Lds/LDS/Ancient-history-items/Early-Christian/Lost-Books-Early-Christian+related:www.math.byu.edu/~smithw/Lds/LDS/Ancient-history-items/Early-Christian/Lost-Books-Early-Christian

      VARIETIES OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY RelSt 535
      Lost Books of Early Christian Literature R. Kraft

      This list is based on Goodspeed-Grant chapter 16;
      the arrangements attempts to be roughly chronological.
      Goodspeed-Grant do not claim to be exhaustive here!
      [Add now NHL Coptic texts of which no Greek exists.]

      Gospel "Q" (?) -- no complete text
      "Signs" Source of GJn -- no complete text
      "We" Source of Acts -- no complete text
      Letter(s) of Paul to the Corinthians -- no text [see 1-2 Cor]
      Letter of Paul to the Laodiceans (?) -- no text [see Eph?]
      Letter of Paul to the Alexandrians -- no text [see Mur.Canon]
      Letter of Polycarp to the Philippians -- no complete Greek text
      Epistle of the Apostles -- no Greek text [Ethiopic]
      Letter of the Gallican Churches -- no complete text
      Shepherd of Hermas -- no complete Greek text
      Revelation of Peter -- no complete Greek text
      Sibylline Oracles Books 9, 10, 15 -- no text
      Pistis Sophia -- no Greek text
      Gospel of the Egyptians -- no complete text [see NHL]
      Gospel of the Hebrews -- no complete text
      Gospel of Peter -- no complete text
      British Museum Gospel -- no complete text
      Gospel of Thomas -- no complete Greek text [see NHL Coptic]
      Traditions of Matthias -- no text
      Secret Sayings of Matthias -- no text
      Gospel of Matthias(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Ebionites -- no complete text
      Gospel of Basilides -- no text
      Gospel of Judas(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Truth -- no Greek text [Coptic]
      Gospel of Philip -- no Greek text [Coptic]
      Gospel of Bartholomew(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Barnabas(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Apelles(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Cerinthus(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Eve(?) -- no text
      Gospel of Perfection(?) -- no text
      Acts of Paul -- no complete text
      Acts of John -- no complete text
      Acts of Peter -- no complete text
      Acts of Andrew -- no complete text
      Clementine Recognitions -- no complete Greek text
      Preaching of Peter -- no text
      Preachings of Peter -- no text
      Journeys of Peter -- no text
      Ascents of Jacob/James -- no text

      [[here the sequence becomes more strictly chronological]]
      Apology of Quadratus -- no text
      Aristo's Dialogue of Jason and Papiscus -- no text
      Apology of Aristides -- no complete Greek text
      Justin's Dialogue with Trypho -- no complete text
      Justin's Against the Greeks -- no text
      Justin's Against All Heresies (=? Refutation) -- no text
      Justin's Against Marcion -- no text
      Justin's On the Soverignty of God -- no text
      Justin's Psaltes -- no text
      Justin's On the Soul -- no text
      Letter to Diognetus -- no complete text
      Tatian's Diatessaron -- no Greek or Syriac text
      Tatian's Problems -- no text
      Tatian's On Perfection according to the Savior -- no Greek text
      Tatian's On Animals -- no text
      Tatian's On Demons (?) -- no text
      Tatian's Chronicle -- no text
      Rhodo, Solutions -- no text
      Rhodo, Against the Heresy of Marcion -- no text
      Rhodo, On the Six Days' Work of Creation -- no text
      Marcion, Contradictions -- no text
      Teaching (Doctrina) of the Apostles (short form) -- no Greek text
      Papias, Interpretations of Sayings of the Lord -- no text
      Odes of Solomon -- no complete Greek text
      Hegesippus, Memoirs -- no text
      Melito, On the Conduct of Life and the Prophets -- no text
      Melito, On the Church -- no text
      Melito, On the Lord's Day -- no text
      Melito, On the Faith of Man -- no text
      Melito, On His Creation -- no text
      Melito, On the Obedience of Faith -- no text
      Melito, On the Senses -- no text
      Melito, On the Soul and Body -- no text
      Melito, On Baptism -- no text
      Melito, On Truth -- no text
      Melito, On the Creation and Generation of Christ -- no text
      Melito, On Prophecy -- no text
      Melito, On Hospitality -- no text
      Melito, A Key [to the Scriptures] -- no text
      Melito, On the Devil and the Revelation of John -- no text
      Melito, Apology -- no text
      Melito, Selections from the Old Testament -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, Against the Heresy of Hermogenes -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, Against Marcion -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, Gospel Harmony (?) -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, Catechetical Books -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, On History -- no text
      Theophilus of Antioch, Commentary on Proverbs -- no text
      Irenaeus, Refutation of Gnosticism -- no Greek text
      Irenaeus, Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching -- no Greek text
      Irenaeus, On Knowledge -- no text
      Irenaeus, On Schism -- no text
      Irenaeus, On the Ogdoad -- no text
      Irenaeus, On Sovereignty -- no text

      Clement of Alexandria, Outlines [of Scripture] -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On the Passover -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On Fasting -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On Evil-speaking -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On Patience -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On Providence -- no text
      Clement of Alexandria, On the Prophet Amos (?) -- no text

      Tertullian, On Baptism -- no Greek text
      Tertullian, On the Hope of the Faithful -- no text
      Tertullian, On Paradise -- no text
      Tertullian, Against the Followers of Apelles -- no text
      Tertullian, On the Origin of the Soul -- no text
      Tertullian, On Fate -- no text
      Tertullian, On Ecstasy -- no text
      Tertullian, Garments of Aaron -- no text
      Tertullian, To a Philosophic Friend -- no text
      Tertullian, On Flesh and Soul -- no text
      Tertullian, On Submission of Soul -- no text
      Tertullian, Superstition of the World -- no text
      Tertullian, On Shows -- no Greek text
      Tertullian, On the Veiling of Virgins -- no Greek text
      Tertullian, On Clean and Unclean Animals (?) -- no text
      Tertullian, On Circumcision (?) -- no text

      Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies -- no complete Greek text
      Hippolytus, On Daniel -- no complete Greek text
      Hippolytus, On the Song of Songs -- no Greek text
      Hippolytus, On the Blessing of Moses -- no Greek text
      Hippolytus, On the Story of David and Goliath -- no Greek text
      Hippolytus, The Six Days of Creation -- no text
      Hippolytus, What Followed the Six Days -- no text
      Hippolytus, The Blessing of Jacob -- no Greek text
      Hippolytus, The Blessing of Balaam -- no text
      Hippolytus, Moses' Song -- no text
      Hippolytus, Elkanah and Hannah -- no text
      Hippolytus, The Witch of Endor -- no text
      Hippolytus, On the Psalms -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Proverbs -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Ecclesiastes -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Isaiah (part) -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Ezekiel (part) -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Zechariah -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Matthew (part) -- no text
      Hippolytus, Parable of the Talents -- no text
      Hippolytus, The Two Thieves -- no text
      Hippolytus, On the Revelation -- no text
      Hippolytus, Against Marcion -- no text
      Hippolytus, Against Artemon: the Little Labyrinth -- no text
      Hippolytus, Against 32 Heresies -- no text
      Hippolytus, Heads against Gaius (?) -- no text
      Hippolytus, In Defense of the Gospel and Revelation of John -- no text
      Hippolytus, On the Resurrection -- no text
      Hippolytus, On the Universe: Against the Greeks and Plato -- no text
      Hippolytus, On Good and the Source of Evil -- no text
      Hippolytus, Address to Severina -- no text
      Hippolytus, Determination of the Date of Easter -- no text
      Hippolytus, Chronicle -- no Greek text
      Hippolytus, Apostolic Tradition -- no Greek text

      Gaius, Dialogue with Proclus -- no text

      Origen, Hexapla -- no Greek text
      Origen, Homilies -- no Greek text of 554 out of 574
      Origen, Homilies -- no text of 388 out of 574
      Origen, Commentaries -- no Greek text of 275 out of 291
      Origen, Commentaries -- no text of ??? out of 291 ("very little
      preserved in Latin")
      Origen, On First Principles -- no complete Greek text
      Origen, Letters -- no text of 98 out of 100
      Origen, Miscellanies in 10 books -- no text

      Julius Africanus, Chronography -- no text
      Julius Africanus, Cestoi (or Paradoxa) -- no text
      Julius Africanus, Letter to Aristides -- no text

      Dionysius of Alexandria, On Nature -- no complete text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, On trials -- no text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, On Promises -- no complete text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, Refutation and Apology -- no text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, Exposition of Ecclesiastes (part) -- no text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, On Temptations -- no text
      Dionysius of Alexandria, Fifty Letters -- no text for most

      Nepos of Arsinoe%, Refutation of the Allegorists -- no text

      Novatian, On the Passover -- no text
      Novatian, On the Sabbath -- no text
      Novatian, On Circumcision -- no text
      Novatian, On the Priesthood -- no text
      Novatian, On Prayer -- no text
      Novatian, On Zeal -- no text
      Novatian, On Attalus -- no text

      Pamphilus, Defense of Origen -- no Greek text, only book 1 in Latin

      Lactantius, Symposium (or, the Banquet) -- no text
      Lactantius, Journey to Nicomedia -- no text
      Lactantius, Grammar -- no text
      Lactantius, Letters to Probus in 4 books -- no text
      Lactantius, Letters to Severus in 2 books -- no text
      Lactantius, Letters to Demetrianus in 2 books -- no text

      Victorinus, Against All Heresies -- no certain text
      Victorinus, Commentaries on Gen Ex Lev Isa Ezek Hab Qoh Cant Matt
      -- no text

      Eusebius of Caesaria, --

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson