OT: Tom Simms obituary

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
      Long time List Members, especially those who were part of the old
      Crosstalk, will be interested in seeing the following obituary notice
      that David Meadows published on another List.

      07/04/2002 SIMMS, THOMAS - At the Saint John Regional Hospital, on
      Wednesday, July 3rd, 2002, Thomas Simms of Saint John, and formerly of
      Woodstock, 71 years of age. Predeceased by his parents Vern and
      Anna Simms. A graveside memorial service will be held at a later date.
      Chipman Funeral Home (339-6612)

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2002
        At 09:55 AM 8/7/2002 -0500, Jeffrey Gibson wrote:
        >Long time List Members, especially those who were part of the old
        >Crosstalk, will be interested in seeing the following obituary notice
        >that David Meadows published on another List.
        >
        >07/04/2002 SIMMS, THOMAS - At the Saint John Regional Hospital, on
        >Wednesday, July 3rd, 2002, Thomas Simms of Saint John, and formerly of
        >Woodstock, 71 years of age. Predeceased by his parents Vern and
        >Anna Simms. A graveside memorial service will be held at a later date.
        >Chipman Funeral Home (339-6612)

        Jeffrey,
        Thanks for passing this along. Simms and I engaged in many exchanges on the
        old CrossTalk. He was a somewhat argumentative fellow who enthusiastically
        pushed the theory that Jesus didn't really die on the cross-- he seemed to
        die because of an ingenious use of an extract from pufferfish. Simms
        considered himself a scientist, and was therefore always seeking scientific
        rationales for miracle stories, and thus was also much interested in the
        controversy over the dating of the Shroud. He had some involvement with
        Egyptian archaeology as a technician of some kind, but he was already
        elderly and afflicted by arthritis in his hands. This was especially vexing
        to him because he was also a church organist, and the arthritis affected
        his ability to play the organ.

        Using somewhat archaic computer technology, he nevertheless wrote a
        somewhat longwinded electronic book about his theories about the historical
        Jesus; In April 1996 he posted his Chapters 38-40 on CrossTalk, and in May
        1996, he claimed that it had "sold to five continents" and was "in revision
        for the next printing." He was challenged by a professional librarian on
        the list who couldn't find his book in the OCLC. Simms countered by
        presenting this information about his book:

> [...]
        > The Bibliography will serve as a guide to further reading
        > The Index will help you browse the text
        > Chapter
        > 1: Stela of Sargon ... Page 1
        > 2: A Beginning ... Page 3
        > 3: The Santa Claus Factor ... Page 10
        > 4: Neb Maat Ra Blows His Own Horn ... Page 12
        > 5: The Alexander Angle ... Page 15
        > 6: Eden Examined ... Page 18
        > 7: History of Egypt ... Page 22
        > 8: King Lists ... Page 26
        > 9: Noah? ... Page 30
        > 10: Genesis Redux ... Page 37
        > 11: Chronology ... Page 40
        > 12: The Tradition of Seven Lean Years ... Page 49
        > 13: The Tale of the Two Brothers ... Page 52
        > 14: The Puzzle of Psalm CIV ... Page 56
        > 15: Conspiracies ... Page 63
        > 16: Joseph in Egypt ... Page 67
        > 17: Sacred Writings ... Page 72
        > 18: The Silence ... Page 78
        > 19: Curiosities ... Page 82
        > 20: Behind Moses ... Page 87
        > 21: Exodus ... Page 106
        > 22: The Memphite Theology of Creation ... Page 138
        > 23: The Teachings of Amen Em Apet ... Page 141
        > 24: The Golden Calf ... Page 150
        > 25: After The Golden Calf ... Page 154
        > 26: Words ... Page 158
        > 27: Solomon's Temple ... Page 163
        > 28: Prophecy ... Page 168
        > 29: When Was It Written? ... Page 176
        > 30: Old Testament Canon ... Page 180
        > 31: New Testament Canon ... Page 191
        > 32: Textual Criticism ... Page 205
        > 33: Texts & Versions ... Page 208
        > 34: The Manuscript Bible ... Page 211
        > 35: The Printed Bible ... Page 216
        > 36: Jewish Religious Groups ... Page 221
        > 37: Dead Sea Sect ... Page 228
        > 38: Written When? ... Page 232
        > 39: Pieces For--Behind The New Testament ... Page 234
        > 40: Behind The New Testament ... Page 238
        > 41: Bible ... Page 252
        > 42: In Search Of The Historical Jesus ... Page 258
        > 43: After The New Testament--A Last Word ... Page 277
        > Glossary ... Page 281
        > Bibliography ... Page 286
        > Index ... Page 292
        > The Table of Figures does not include the hieroglyphs of the
        > beginning of the Hymm to the Aten, separating the side by side
        > presentations of the Hymn and of Psalm CIV. Readers can
        > discover how close are the two texts, puzzle on the mystery it
        > shows and then tease out the solution to the puzzle found in
        > the Research Updates inside the flyleafs.
        > Table of Figures
        > Figure
        > 1: Stela of Sargon ... Page 1
        > 2: Scalloped Edge Steel Carver ... Page 4
        > 3: Flint Flesher Edge ... Page 4
        > 4: The Lake Gift ... Page 13
        > 5: Genesis i, 27 ... Page 39
        > 6: Genesis ii, 7 ... Page 39
        > 7: Pharaoh Carried in State ... Page 73
        > 8: The Cartouches of Jacob ... Page 79
        > 9: The Israel Stela ... Page 80
        > 10: Pharaoh Ay Shoots at an ``Axe'' ... Page 85
        > 11: The Aten ... Page 94
        > 12: Stela of the Two Kings--An Adaptation ... Page 96
        > 13: The Ark of Amen ... Page 102
        > 14: Tut Ankh Amen on His Chariot ... Page 104

        As you can see, his interests were wide ranging!