Re: [XTalk] Re: Israelites/Judeans

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 5 1:29 AM
      > Consider the following:
      >
      > Within 1st Century Judaea there were numerous types of Judaic beliefs
      > and practices. The Sadducees, the Pharisees, the Essene and the
      > earliest followers of Jesus make up only four such pre-70 groups.
      > Doubtless there were more. Should we look for a linguistic solution
      > to help us differentiate between these groups?

      On the contrary. In translating and commenting on Greek manuscripts around the
      beginning of the common era, the literal translation 'Judean' of the Greek word
      "ioudaios" is to be preferred because
      in so doing one avoids any a priori differentiation. We leave the meaning of the
      Greek term as open as much as possible. In the 20th century the word 'Jew' bears
      the restriction of 'not christian'. The habit of translating "ioudaios" in
      'Jew' would automatically introduce this restriction into first century writings
      opening the door for unwanted bias. Hence my proposal to use the term 'Judean' for
      'Jews in the centuries round the common era' and to use the equally new
      designation Christian Judeans for the Judean followers of Jesus who in de first
      century were still predominant in their reform movement.

      cordially

      Karel Hanhart