Re: More Re: [XTalk] Violence

  • Peter Kirby
    Message 1 of 104 , Aug 2, 2002
      From: "laymantwo" <laymantwo@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 5:21 PM
      Subject: More Re: [XTalk] Violence

      [snip]

      > Brian, I would add that -- for those of us who accept the Josephan
      > reference to James as true -- that we have an example of Jewish
      > violence against Jewish Christians in Palestine, as recorded by a
      > Jewish historian.
      >
      > Josephus records that James and other leaders of his group were killed
      > by Ananas.
      >
      > "when, therefore, Ananus was of this disposition, he thought he had
      > now a proper opportunity. Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but
      > upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought
      > before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name
      > was James, and some others; and when he had formed an accusation
      > against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be
      > stoned..."
      >
      > Antiquities 20.9.

      What laws do you think were broken by James and certain others?

      thanks,
      Peter Kirby
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University