Re: [XTalk] Hutu / Tutsi parallels

    Message 1 of 104 , Jul 30, 2002
      At 09:31 PM 7/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:

      > >Robert,
      > >I don't remember reading that in my sources. Perhaps we'd better take this
      > >off-list, as we are getting somewhat afield.
      > >But if you have a specific source for your claim for an "arbitrary
      > >division", I'd like to know about it. This was a matter of interest to me
      > >in grad school.
      > >
      > >Bob
      > >

      >There are several sources, but an excellent overview is in John Reader's
      >_Africa: A Biography of a Continent_ which I recommend for its lucid,
      >readable prose, and interesting collection of topics.
      >
      >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067973869X/104-5536363-7010313
      >
      >The Hutu/Tutsi split appears to be entirely an artificial creation of
      >colonial politics based on then-current racial theories and Belgian divide-
      >n-rule policies.
      >
      >Michael Turton
      >Chaoyang University of Technology
      >Taichung, Taiwan

      Michael,
      Thanks. I will refrain from any further comment on the Hutu/Tutsi until I
      have looked into this matter further.
      Bob
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University