RE: More Re: [XTalk] Violence

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 104 , Jul 23 4:38 PM
      >Steve Black asks:
      >
      >>>*If* there was episodes of Xn violence towards non-Xn Jews, they would
      >probably not be included in the "official" record. I am wondering if the
      >Talmud might reveal some traces or not. If it did, we would have cause to be
      >suspicious of it, a suspicion that we ought not to hesitate to apply to our
      >own texts.<<
      >
      >Dave Hindley wrote...
      >Based on R. Travers Hereford's _Christianity in Talmud & Midrash_, and G. R.
      >S. Mead's _Did Jesus Live 100 BC?_, I'd have to say "no." There is a tiny
      >trace of it in one of the Toledoth Jeschu stories that says:

      Thanks for the response! Firstly the title of a book you quote here
      caught my attention - "Did Jesus Live 100 BC?" What's that all about?
      [Not really on topic - but...]

      >[snip]
      >
      >In other words, the Toledoth Jeschu seems to blame the Christians for the
      >fiscal consequences of the war of 66-73, and thus indirectly the war itself.
      >Now the accusations of "strife" make more sense. This is essentially saying
      >that Christians were apostate Jewish militants and/or revolutionaries, and
      >caused trouble for those who were not [i.e., the true "Israelites"]. Paul,
      >in this cycle of tradition, started the process of converting (some)
      >militant heterodox Jews into non-Jews, and thus after Elijahu/Paul "had
      >introduced these [not-good "Christian" anti-torah] laws and commandments,
      >the erring ones separated themselves from Israel, and the strife ceased."
      >Presumably they also stopped being militants as well.

      Just to make sure I understand you- they were militants (allegedly)
      before or after they became Xn's?
      --
      Steve Black
      Vancouver School of Theology

      Once in a while you can get shown the light
      in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

      -Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS
    • Thomas G. Barnes
      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 13, 2002
        I know this is off topic, however, during the past few days I noticed the
        discussion going on about the use of copyrighhted material. Anyway, my
        question is this, how do I properly cite a web page I used information from
        in an academic paper. I am a student and an interested historical Jesus
        individual. I realize this is off topic so please send reply to me off the
        list.

        Thomas G. Barnes
        Philadelphia, PA
        Temple University