Re: [XTalk] Fwd: "Mosiach is here now: just open your eyes and you can see him "

  • Rick Sumner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2002
      Bob Schacht writes:
      "It is unknown in the history of Judaism to hold that the religious leader
      is God."

      Rick:
      What about 4Q521? Not an explicit deification of the Messiah, but certainly
      an ascription of divine powers.

      On a similar note (similar in that it is Qumranic), there is also the
      "self-glorification hymn" (as designated by Esther Eshel)

      "I shall be reckoned with the angels, my dwelling is in the holy council.
      Who [...] and who has been despised like me? And who has been rejected of
      men like me? And who compares to me in enduring evil? No teaching compares
      to my teaching. For I sit [...] in heaven. Who is like me among the angels?
      Who could cut off my words? And who could measure the flow of my lips? Who
      can associate with me and thus compare with my judgment? I am the beloved of
      the King, a companion of the holy ones and none can accompany me. And to my
      glory none can compare, for I [...]. Neither with gold I will crown myself,
      nor with refined gold [...]"
      [4Q431 and 4Q427 fr.7]

      The author (thought by some to be the Teacher of Righteousness) has just
      deified himself.

      Regards,
      Rick Sumner
      Calgary, Alberta Canada

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2002
        At 12:26 AM 7/16/2002 -0600, you wrote:

        >Bob Schacht writes:
        >"It is unknown in the history of Judaism to hold that the religious leader
        >is God."

        Please don't shoot the messenger. I did not *write* that sentence; I
        *forwarded* it.

        >Rick:
        >What about 4Q521? Not an explicit deification of the Messiah, but certainly
        >an ascription of divine powers.
        >
        >On a similar note (similar in that it is Qumranic), there is also the
        >"self-glorification hymn" (as designated by Esther Eshel)
        >
        >"I shall be reckoned with the angels, my dwelling is in the holy council.
        >Who [...] and who has been despised like me? And who has been rejected of
        >men like me? And who compares to me in enduring evil? No teaching compares
        >to my teaching. For I sit [...] in heaven. Who is like me among the angels?
        >Who could cut off my words? And who could measure the flow of my lips? Who
        >can associate with me and thus compare with my judgment? I am the beloved of
        >the King, a companion of the holy ones and none can accompany me. And to my
        >glory none can compare, for I [...]. Neither with gold I will crown myself,
        >nor with refined gold [...]"
        >[4Q431 and 4Q427 fr.7]
        >
        >The author (thought by some to be the Teacher of Righteousness) has just
        >deified himself.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Rick Sumner
        >Calgary, Alberta Canada

        Thanks for this interesting text. You'll have to take it up with the author
        of the article.