RE: [XTalk] Fwd: "Mosiach is here now: just open your eyes and you can see him "

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15 10:01 PM
      Bob Schacht observes:

      >>Here's an interesting study of Messianism in recent history: ...

      "It is unknown in the history of Judaism to hold that the religious leader
      is God and to this extent the [Lubavitch Hasidim in Stamford Hill] group is
      unique. There are certain Christian elements which apparently inform the
      messianic ideas of this group."<<

      I think that possible Christian influence is also evidenced by the accounts
      Gershom Scholem provides of medieval Jewish mystical and messianic groups
      (_Major Trends_).

      For example, expectation of a Davidic messiah seems to be quite common among
      modern and medieval Jews (I hear it stated time and again on Jewish bulletin
      boards, stated by Jewish participants - although not Lubavitchers as far as
      I recall), yet some modern critics think that this was NOT a well entrenched
      ancient Jewish concept.

      Yet, if medieval and modern Jews express it, does that mean Judaism has
      assimilated this concept from Christianity, or does it mean Christianity
      assimilated it from ancient Judaism(s), or was the idea independently
      developed by both Jews and Christians ("independence," of course, can mean
      either accidental development of similar ideas or both created similar ideas
      in reaction to common influences)?

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA