[Xtalk] Touching - Healing - Prolepsis

  • Philip B Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 1999

      >This touches on (!) something I have often wondered. If Jesus's "touch" is in
      >these cases construed to be a healing touch, would anyone have thought that
      >impurity was imparted?

      There are noteworthy passages in which (a) Jesus touched someone to heal, or
      to "raise" in what the Gospels present as prolepses of his own "raising."
      The gesture was undoubtedly associated with exorcisms, but it is employed by
      writers to cover a number of encounters which were beenficial to the
      individual. One might note that in Luke's Raising of a widow's son at Cana,
      Jesus "touched the bier" - which, in strict ritual terms rendered him
      unclean. The woman with an issue of blood in GMark touched the hem of
      Jesus' garment, which by the same rule of ritual purity rendered him
      unclean. As I had proposed in my posting on Proleptic tradition on
      crosstalk, there is something to be explored here, and I think Steve Davies
      would have some insight to share.

      Philip

      -phil@...
      + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
      Philip B. Lewis HR (Presby. Plains & Peaks)
      754-B Sawmill Cove
      Cottonwood, AZ 86326

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
    • Liz Fried
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 1999

        I suspect these stories of Jesus' healing were created by people unaware of
        Jewish purity laws.

        Best,
        Liz

        Lisbeth S. Fried