Jesus' Eschatology

  • brmcc2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2002
      I. We might enquire not only a) about what Jesus expected, but also

      b) where his expectations lay along the spectrum from certitudes to
      convictions to hopes to mere desires; and

      c) how important his expectations were to him.

      II. When we ask these qq., we need also to ask the q. of what he
      hoped to achieve through his public activity. If this latter q. is
      not kept in the picture, the eschatology q. is likely to be given
      exaggerated importance.

      Brian McCarthy
      Madison WI

      P.S. I would like to have printed the 'what' in the first line in
      italics. Are we going to be stuck with this primitive system
      forever?