Re: Cephas and Peter (was Re: [XTalk] Historical Jesus Theories: Jesus the Teacher?)

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 4, 2002
      bjtraff wrote:

      > Actually, Paul calls Peter PETROS in Galatians 2:8, KHFAS in
      > Galatians 2:9, and PETROS again in 2:11 and 2:14, linking the two
      > names to the same person. He calls him KHFAS (but not PETROS) four
      > times in 1 Corinthians (the only other place that Peter is mentioned
      > in Paul's letters). The only other NT author to link the two names
      > is John (in 1:42, linking KHFAS to the name PETROS from verse 40).
      > So far as I am aware, the case has never been made that Paul learned
      > this Aramaic name for Peter from John, nor vice versa.
      >
      > Based on this evidence, the names Cephas and Peter do appear to
      > belong to the same person.

      The appearance of the name "petros" in Galatians 2 is probably due to the fact
      that Paul was writing to a community with some (or many) Greek speaking members
      not able to understand the Aramaic Cephas. Hence IMHO Paul translated the term
      with "petros" amd Mark followed him throughout his Gospel (the oldest Gospel we
      have.

      Karel Hanhart

      > Peace,
      >
      > Brian Trafford