(Fwd) William Arnal wins 2002 F.W. Beare Award from Canadian S

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2002
      I'm just catching up with a backlog of emails and was happy to see
      the notice attached below and thought other Xtalkers would be pleased
      too. Congratulations, Bill!
      Mark

      > Greetings from Minneapolis!
      > Fortress Press is proud to announce that provocative study of
      > Christian origins centered around early Christian involvement in
      > social struggles in Galilee has been awarded a prestigious Canadian
      > book prize. Please read the attachment below for more information.
      > Best Wishes.
      > <<Press Release Beare Award 2002.doc>>
      >
      > For Immediate Release
      > Contact: Bob Todd
      > News@...
      > (612) 330-3234
      >
      > William Arnal wins 2002 F.W. Beare Award from Canadian Society of
      > Biblical Studies MINNEAPOLIS (June 3, 2002) * A provocative study of
      > Christian origins centered around early Christian involvement in
      > social struggles in Galilee has been awarded a prestigious Canadian
      > book prize. Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts and
      > the Setting of Q (Fortress, 2001) was awarded the 2002 F. W. Beare
      > Award at the Annual Dinner of the Canadian Society of Biblical
      > Studies (CSBS) in Toronto on May 27th. This award recognizes an
      > outstanding book in the areas of Christian Origins, Post-Biblical
      > Judaism and/or Graeco-Roman Religions written by a member of the
      > CSBS and published during the previous two years. This award has
      > been established in honor of Francis (Frank) Wright Beare, one of
      > Canada's most reknowned New Testament scholars. He was born in
      > Toronto in 1902, studied in Toronto, Paris and Cairo, and taught at
      > the Presbyterian College in Montreal (1933-46) and Trinity College
      > in Toronto (1946-68). He participated actively in the Canadian
      > Society of Biblical Studies and was named President of the Society
      > in 1942; he was also President of the Society of Biblical Literature
      > in 1969. The Canadian Society of Biblical Studies is the oldest
      > humanities academic society in Canada. The Society provides a
      > meeting place for those interested in all aspects of the academic
      > study of the Bible - Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, New Testament - in
      > its literary and historical context.
      >
      > JESUS AND THE VILLAGE SCRIBES: Galilean Conflicts and the Setting of
      > Q by William E. Arnal investigates the social setting of the Jesus
      > movement as expressed in the Q Sayings Source, one of the earliest
      > collections of the Jesus tradition. It challenges the dominant
      > thesis of Gerd Theissen of "wandering radicals" as the earliest
      > spreaders of the Jesus tradition. Several conclusions are drawn: 1)
      > the textual evidence for the "wandering radicals" hypothesis is not
      > tenable and must be replaced with one that more closely comports
      > with the evidence; 2) the immediate context of the Jesus movement,
      > and Q in particular, is the socio-economic crisis in Galilee under
      > the Romans; and 3) the formation of Q is the product of Galilean
      > village scribes in the Jesus movement reacting to the negative
      > changes going on in Galilee which affected their social standing. Q,
> [...]

      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com