8591RE: [XTalk] Dating of GMark

  • Richard Anderson
    Dec 2, 2001
      Mahlon, greetings:

      >So it is still a leap of faith to >>identify the names on the ossuaries
      >(which obviously belonged to real >people) with those "individuals"
      >who are alluded to by Mark. So the >evidence of the ossuaries in no way
      >documents the actual existence of >"these individuals" -- i.e., those
      >mentioned in Mark's text.

      I think the point that J.T. Milik made was although both Simon and Alexander
      were common names in 1st century Palestine, the perplexing similarity of
      these names with those on the ossuary was more than mere coincidence. Yes
      you can name other individuals with the name Alexander but can you point to
      another Alexander in the Cyrenian Jewish community who was the son of Simon.

      Richard H. Anderson
      Wallingford PA

      I am unfortunately a customer of Comcast with internet connection thur
      Excite.com, a subcontractor of Comcast who filed bankruptcy. I apologize
      in advance if my service is disconnected and your reply to me is bounced.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic