8218RE: [XTalk] Dating of Hebrews

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Sep 1, 2001
      At 10:59 AM 9/1/01 -0400, David C. Hindley wrote:
      >So, no, Trobisch does not prove that Hebrews is late (that was my
      >interpretation), only that it was attached to a "canonical edition"
      >(using Trobisch's term) after the introduction of that edition.

      That's my interpretation too of Trobisch.

      >If Hebrews was circulating earlier than the canonical edition of
      >Paul's letters, why was it never associated with one of the three
      >groupings that the canonical edition drew upon? Maybe it wasn't
      >considered Paul's? Then why did it not get associated with the mss
      >grouping known as the (Prax)apostolos (Acts + General Epistles)?
      >Because the author of Hebrews wasn't an Apostle? Hasn't modern
      >criticism largely agreed that this was an argument that intended to
      >justify the selection of the books of the NT, and not explain them?

      You're basically correct here, too.

      >This all means that Hebrews was probably written *after* the writing
      >of all the other books of the Pauline corpus (including any spurious
      >books), AND the Praxapostolos (almost all of the epistles contained in
      >it are considered late fabrications). It is LATE (at least mid 2nd
      >century), and that means not written by an associate of Paul, and thus
      >spurious.

      I'm not sure this follows. The upper limit to the date of
      Hebrew (terminus ad quem) is in the late 90s because of 1
      Clement, esp. 36:1-5 (so Brown 1997: 696). I believe that
      other have argued that the near contemporaneous Shepherd
      of Hermas is also dependent on Hebrews. Generally, this
      put Hebrews written anywhere from c. 60 - c. 90, which
      could be before one or more the other epistles in the NT,
      depending on which part of the interval you place Hebrews.
      In fact, most introductions tend to date Hebrews earlier
      than the Pastorals in the Pauline corpus and 2 Peter in
      the Praxapostolos, both of which are thought to be late,
      even post 90.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...