736[XTalk] Re: Re:Jubilee

  • dhindley@compuserve.com
    Jul 2, 1999
      Basil Lourie wrote:

      > > I was under the impression that the Jubilee year is the 50th year
      > > (i.e., the
      > > year after the seventh sabbatical year), and hence occurs every
      > > 49 years.
      >
      > I don't understand this statement. It is the 50th year. The counting begins
      > the year after the Jubilee year. That is year one. Seven periods of seven
      > make 49 years after the last Jubilee year. The next year is the 50th year
      > after the last Jubilee year. The 50th year is not counted in the cycle.
      > There are 49 years between every jubilee year.
      >

      > The situation may be even worse: *both* countings are possible. I would like
      > to know more precisely about the source re: each kind of procedure. In the
      > Temple Scroll and some other sources (incl. Christian Ethiopic ones) there
      > is certainly a procedure of counting of "Jubilees" of Sabbaths where every
      > 50th Sabbath is counted twice, that is, there is no Sabbath (week) which is
      > not counted in the cycle. This counting of weeks must be (I think, without
      > assurance) of the same mode as that of years in the respective communities.
      > Beckwith ("The Year of Messiah") is pressuposing 49-year Jubilees in the Bk
      > of Jubilees. Dealing with some early Christian calendars I found also 50-day
      > "Jubilee of weeks" sometimes likely. However, I have never seen a special
      > study on the different possibilities in counting of Jubilees.

      Archbishop Ussher thought that they marked 50 year periods. The Book of Jubilees (at least in the Ethiopic rescension and probably in the DSS) thinks of them as 49 year periods, and has little to say about the 50th year.

      The way I understand it is as follows:

      01,02,03,...48,49,50
      01,02,03,...48,49,50
      01,02,03, etc.

      This means each jubilee year is celebrated in the first year of the next jubilee.

      RSV Leviticus 25:8 "And you shall count
      seven weeks of years, seven times seven
      years, so that the time of the seven
      weeks of years shall be to you forty-nine
      years. 9 Then you shall send abroad the
      loud trumpet on the tenth day of the
      seventh month; on the day of atonement
      you shall send abroad the trumpet
      throughout all your land. 10 And you shall
      hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim
      liberty throughout the land to all its
      inhabitants; it shall be a jubilee for you,
      when each of you shall return to his
      property and each of you shall return to
      his family. 11 A jubilee shall that fiftieth
      year be to you; in it you shall neither
      sow, nor reap what grows of itself, nor
      gather the grapes from the undressed
      vines. 12 For it is a jubilee; it shall be
      holy to you; you shall eat what it yields
      out of the field. 13 "In this year of jubilee
      each of you shall return to his property.
      14 And if you sell to your neighbor or buy
      from your neighbor, you shall not wrong
      one another. 15 According to the number
      of years after the jubilee, you shall buy
      from your neighbor, and according to the
      number of years for crops he shall sell to
      you. 16 If the years are many you shall
      increase the price, and if the years are
      few you shall diminish the price, for it is
      the number of the crops that he is selling
      to you. 17 You shall not wrong one
      another, but you shall fear your God; for I
      am the LORD your God.

      RSV Leviticus 25:23 The land shall not be
      sold in perpetuity, for the land is mine; for
      you are strangers and sojourners with
      me. 24 And in all the country you
      possess, you shall grant a redemption of
      the land. 25 "If your brother becomes
      poor, and sells part of his property, then
      his next of kin shall come and redeem
      what his brother has sold. 26 If a man
      has no one to redeem it, and then himself
      becomes prosperous and finds sufficient
      means to redeem it, 27 let him reckon
      the years since he sold it and pay back
      the overpayment to the man to whom he
      sold it; and he shall return to his property.
      28 But if he has not sufficient means to
      get it back for himself, then what he sold
      shall remain in the hand of him who
      bought it until the year of jubilee; in the
      jubilee it shall be released, and he shall
      return to his property. 29 "If a man sells a
      dwelling house in a walled city, he may
      redeem it within a whole year after its
      sale; for a full year he shall have the right
      of redemption. 30 If it is not redeemed
      within a full year, then the house that is in
      the walled city shall be made sure in
      perpetuity to him who bought it,
      throughout his generations; it shall not be
      released in the jubilee. 31 But the houses
      of the villages which have no wall around
      them shall be reckoned with the fields of
      the country; they may be redeemed, and
      they shall be released in the jubilee. 32
      Nevertheless the cities of the Levites, the
      houses in the cities of their possession,
      the Levites may redeem at any time. 33
      And if one of the Levites does not
      exercise his right of redemption, then the
      house that was sold in a city of their
      possession shall be released in the
      jubilee; for the houses in the cities of the
      Levites are their possession among the
      people of Israel. 34 But the fields of
      common land belonging to their cities
      may not be sold; for that is their perpetual
      possession.

      RSV Leviticus 25:40 he shall be with you
      as a hired servant and as a sojourner. He
      shall serve with you until the year of the
      jubilee; 41 then he shall go out from you,
      he and his children with him, and go back
      to his own family, and return to the
      possession of his fathers. 42 For they are
      my servants, whom I brought forth out of
      the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold
      as slaves.

      RSV Leviticus 25:47 "If a stranger or
      sojourner with you becomes rich, and
      your brother beside him becomes poor
      and sells himself to the stranger or
      sojourner with you, or to a member of the
      stranger's family, 48 then after he is sold
      he may be redeemed; one of his brothers
      may redeem him, 49 or his uncle, or his
      cousin may redeem him, or a near
      kinsman belonging to his family may
      redeem him; or if he grows rich he may
      redeem himself. 50 He shall reckon with
      him who bought him from the year when
      he sold himself to him until the year of
      jubilee, and the price of his release shall
      be according to the number of years; the
      time he was with his owner shall be rated
      as the time of a hired servant. 51 If there
      are still many years, according to them
      he shall refund out of the price paid for
      him the price for his redemption. 52 If
      there remain but a few years until the
      year of jubilee, he shall make a reckoning
      with him; according to the years of
      service due from him he shall refund the
      money for his redemption. 53 As a
      servant hired year by year shall he be
      with him; he shall not rule with harshness
      over him in your sight. 54 And if he is not
      redeemed by these means, then he shall
      be released in the year of jubilee, he and
      his children with him. 55 For to me the
      people of Israel are servants, they are my
      servants whom I brought forth out of the
      land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, OH