734[XTalk] Re: Re:Jubilee

  • Liz Fried
    Jul 2, 1999
      > From: Bernard Muller

      > Liz Fried wrote:

      > Liz, you must be talking about Jewish years from March to March.
      I'm talking about Jewish years, September to September.

      What
      > would be the Sabbatical year, 33-34 or 34-35?
      Assuming CE, the sabbatical year would be fall 33 to fall 34.

      > What would be the preceding Sabbatical year and, let's say, the next
      > three ones? What would be the next Jubilee year?
      I remember writing these all down, year by year, and counting them out.
      I'll let someone else do it now.

      > > We don't need to count Sabbatical years in Jesus' time from the
      > jubilees of
      > > the monarchal period. We have the sabbatical years of
      > Maccabees. We need to
      > > count from then.
      >
      > What are your references on sabbatical years in Maccabees? Do you have
      > references in Maccabees of Jubilee years too? Where?
      This was worked out nicely by Lester Grabbe, in JBL about 5 years ago I
      think.
      If I have time I'll try to get out the article and see what his dates are.

      Best,

      Liz

      Lisbeth S. Fried
      Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies