729[XTalk] Re: Re:Jubilee

  • Liz Fried
    Jul 1, 1999

      The events were certain, but they were not predictable. They occurred, and
      had to be planned for. When was another story.

      > My life insurance will not pay "in the event" that I take my own life.
      Which proves that people do, occasionally, and umpredictably take their own
      lives.

      > >The tenth year of Zedekiah can be dated to 588-587. During this
      > year there
      > >was a general manumission of (Hebrew) slaves (albeit rescinded).
      >
      > Indeed- and anything rescinded was, for all practical purposes, not done.
      Yes, certainly, but it seems they thought they *ought* to do it, and in this
      particular year. That is the point.

      > I want to be convinced that the poor people
      > would actually experience such kindness--- I just dont think they did, do,
      > or ever will.
      My point is that it is not a kindness to the poor and wasn't intended to be.
      It was a kindness to the king, imo, because he could use it to keep the
      aristocracy at bay. It was the slaves of the aristocracy he freed, and the
      land of those who added "house to house and field to field" he took. It was
      always to cement the power of the king.

      Best,
      Liz

      Lisbeth S. Fried