5478Re: [XTalk] James and the Ebionites

  • Sakari Häkkinen
    Dec 1, 2000
      Richard Anderson wrote:

      > Michael Goulder in St. Paul v. St. Peter, A Tale of Two
      Missions said: "In
      > time the Jerusalem church fell on evil days. They had to
      leave the city when
      > the Jewish War came (66) and were not allowed to return
      after it was
      > destroyed in 70. They were scattered to various centres in
      Syria and became
      > knwon as the 'Ebionim, the Poor, a term oftern used in the
      Psalms for God's
      > faithful, persecuted remnant. Epiphanius, Bishop of
      Salamis in Cypus about
      > 370, questioned some of them and asked them about their
      name; they replied
      > that they were descended from the Jerusalem church. and
      their forebears had
      > become poor by sharing their money in the days of Acts.
      Epiphanius a harsh
      > and untruthful man himself though that they were lying:
      they were called
      > Ebinities after their wicked first treacher Ebion
      (Panarion, 30.15.4). But
      > we may think they were telling the truth: there never was
      such a persion as
      > Ebion. end quote.

      Richard,
      I know well Goulder's book and his writings on the topic
      elsewhere. Indeed, in my dissertation I criticize him just
      for building a theory on weak evidence (I have a whole
      chapter on Goulder). One of the problems of Goulder's book
      is that he does not use footnotes. It would be fair to
      express what are the sources. Goulder uses all the same
      patristic material, which I claim to know quite well, and I
      am quite sure he has nothing more. His book is quite close
      to what I meant in an earlier message: "For this
      reason, it is not possible to reconstruct the way of the
      earliest "christian" community simply by referring to the
      way of life of Ebionites (which has been done sometimes in
      scholarship!)."
      On the other hand, there are some such descriptions of
      Ebionite belief in Goulder's book, which I have found very
      useful and which are on more solid ground, e. g. his
      description of the "possession Christology" by Ebionites.
      BTW, Michael D. Goulder has my book, but I am not sure if he
      can read Finnish better than the American scholars... Well,
      he visited us some years ago, but his ability of Finnish did
      not include too many words.

      Best wishes,

      Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
      University of Helsinki