5174Re: [XTalk] Re: the jesus mysteries

  • Andrew Smith
    Oct 4, 2000
      on 10/3/00 8:32 PM, forrest curo at forest@... wrote:

      > I don't know about HIGHLY mythologized. But the cursing of the fig tree is
      > certainly a mythic element. ie, It is highly symbolic (& relates what the
      > Christians of the time saw as a fundamental structure of their situation vs
      > the non-Christian Jews); furthermore it would be highly unlikely even as a
      > miracle, since it would be utterly pointless had it occured in concrete
      > reality, given that Jesus' action would serve no purpose aside from venting
      > some rather unsaintly spite against some poor tree. It would also be
      > somewhat uncharacteristic of someone whose other attributed miracles ran to
      > healings.
      > Forrest Curo

      Even more importantly, Luke has made this into, or restored this as, a
      Luke 13:
      6: And he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard;
      and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.

      7: And he said to the vinedresser, `Lo, these three years I have come
      seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down; why should it
      use up the ground?'

      8: And he answered him, `Let it alone, sir, this year also, till I dig about
      it and put on manure.

      9: And if it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut
      it down.'"

      Andrew Smith
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic