363[Xtalk] Re: Messianic Consciousness

  • Liz Fried
    Jun 4, 1999
      Hello All,
      I've been enjoying this thread on the Messianic consciousness of Jesus, but
      something has been nagging at me in the back of my mind. GMark makes clear
      that the desciples did not understand who Jesus really was. Does that mean
      his true nature as Son of God, or could that refer to his nature as the
      Messiah? It seems to me that GMark is telling us that even the Messianic
      aspects of Jesus' personality did not become apparent until after the
      resurrection. I think this is the point of Frederickson's book _From Jesus
      to Christ_. If this is so, then aspects of his life which we think would
      have been interpreted by his desciples as Messianic, were likely read back
      into his life by the post-resurrection community.

      Liz

      Lisbeth S. Fried
      Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
      New York University