24213Re: Luke's use of his sources

  • Ronald Price
    Jul 14, 2014
      Re: Luke's use of his sources Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

      Can anyone here give me examples of Luke's shortening the length of the sayings of Jesus that he found in Mark and Q  (or, hello Mark G, Matthew)?

      Jeffrey,

      Your question raises two problems in the mind of an outsider looking at the standard Two-Source Theory.

      Firstly if Luke had made any substantial shortening of a saying (relative to Matthew’s version) when copying Q, then the text which Matthew included but Luke omitted would be assigned to ‘M’ and not to ‘Q’. It is thus an inherent assumption of the 2ST that Luke never substantially shortened a pericope in Q.

      Secondly Q theorists tend to have a bias in favour of Luke, with the effect that a shortening by Luke is often deemed by them to be a lengthening by Matthew. I will give four examples.

      (1) I’m confident that there were originally seven beatitudes to match the seven woes, not the four beatitudes assumed by CrEdQ etc..

      (2) “so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves” (Mt 10:16b) completed the original ‘lambs among wolves’ saying.

      (3) “You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!” (Mt 23:24) is typical hyperbole, and is necessary to complete the original balance of the stanza on tithes.

      (4) Similarly Mt 23:30 & 23:32 are necessary to complete the originally balanced stanza on memorials.

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK