24195Re: [XTalk] 1 Corinthians 13

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Apr 25, 2014
      Would faith continue to play a role after the eschaton, or would Paul think that faith has played out its role by then? Love, on the other hand, would surely continue.

      I don't know that the hymn to love is Pauline, I simply wonder about one of the assumptions in your argument.

      Jeffery Hodges

      Ewha Womans University
      Seoul, South Korea

      Novella: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E18KW0K
       (The Bottomless Bottle of Beer)

      Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bottomless-Bottle-of-Beer/204064649770035 (The Bottomless Bottle of Beer)

      Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic Texts"

      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
      M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

      Home Address:

      Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
      Sangbong-dong 1
      Jungnang-gu
      Seoul 131-771
      South Korea

      On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM, Ronald Price <ron-price@...> wrote:

      John Staton wrote:

      Chapter 13 is an indispensable part of Paul's argument in chapters 12-14 ...

      John,

      It would have required a clumsiness uncharacteristic of Paul to point out that prophecies and (speaking in) tongues will come to an end (13:8), and then a few lines later extol the virtues of prophecy as against speaking in tongues (14:1b-5).

      In any case, Paul did boast, and to him faith must surely have been more important than love. Take his most important letter: Romans. The noun 'faith' is mentioned at least 37 times, while the noun 'love' is mentioned nine times, and the subject of three of these is God or Christ. So according to Paul, it is much more important for a person to have faith than to have love, and this is (probably deliberately) contradicted by the author of 1 Cor 13:13.

      Ron Price,

      Derbyshire, UK