24191Paul and James

  • Richard Fellows
    Apr 24, 2014
      Ron Price wrote " Gal 2:12 would be a slim foundation on which to build anything. The evidence for bitterness between James and Paul is much broader than one verse. It involves fundamental differences in outlook (the outlook of James is evident from the logia - the early collection of the sayings of Jesus), the treatment of James by Paul and Mark (c.f. Trocme, Brandon, Weeden), the failure of the collection (c.f. Ludemann), and the discovery that the Ebionites were James's theological successors (c.f. Goulder)."

      Hegesippus inadvertently provides evidence that there was no rift between Paul and James. He was a big admirer of James (see Eusebius EH 2.23.3-7) and yet he found Paul's legacy to be in line with true doctrine, for we read the following in Eusebius EH 4.22.7-8.

      "Hegesippus in the five books of Memoirs which have come down to us has left a most complete record of his own views. In them he states that on a journey to Rome he met a great many bishops, and that he received the same doctrine from all. It is fitting to hear what he says after making some remarks about the epistle of Clement to the Corinthians. His words are as follows: “And the church of Corinth continued in the true faith until Primus was bishop in Corinth. I conversed with them on my way to Rome, and abode with the Corinthians many days, during which we were mutually refreshed in the true doctrine."

      If James and his successors were theologically opposed to Paul and his successors, then how can Hegesippus (as well as Luke) be in both camps? I don't think anyone would be hypothesizing a theological rift between Paul and James if it were not for their mis-reading of Gal 2:12 in particular, and Paul in general.

      Richard Fellows
      http://paulandco-workers.blogspot.ca/
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic