24190RE: [XTalk] Paul's list of previous appearances of the risen Jesus

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Apr 24 6:17 AM

      To: XTalk2

      On: Paul and Stuff

      From: Bruce

      I would like to support all three points recently made by Ron, and maybe add a couple details.

      1. I Cor 13 is definitely an interpolation; it interrupts a discourse on another subject, which resumes as soon as the “love” discourse is finished. See William O Walker Jr, Interpolations in the Pauline Letters, 147-165.  Other 1 Cor passages treated as interpolations in that book are: 1 Cor 2:6-16, 1 Cor 10:1-22, 1 Cor 11:3-6, and 1 Cor 14:34-35. In a later CBQ article (2007), Walker takes up 1 Cor 15:29-34. Why are there so many of these, and why is there no manuscript support? Because with Romans, 1 Cor was recognized as Paul’s most important theological statement, and his early editors sought to correct and uniformize it before bringing it to the attention of the wider Christian world. It was only after the editors had finished their work that the corpus of 7 letters (including the spurious Colossians, as an introduction) were handed to the copyists for multiplication and distribution. We get manuscript variants only after that point.

      2. Paul loathed those whose ideas of Jesus differed from his own. The curse (anathema) at the end of 1 Cor (16:22, not an interpolation) is evidence enough, though there is more as well. It comes to this: If you don’t love the Lord Paul’s way, you don’t love the Lord at all.

      3. Yes. The trouble is that there are so many Jameses (Jacobs) running around. For Galatians purposes, Frank Beare (JBL 1943) has usefully distinguished between the James Zebedee who gave Paul the right hand of fellowship, and the Lord’s Brother James who later (after the first James had been killed) sent people to make trouble for commensality in Galatia. There was also the author of the Epistle of James, who I think is far more likely to be James of Alphaeus, who like James Zebedee was a member of the inner Jesus circle. James The Brother was an original unbeliever, and a very difficult later convert (the same may be said of Paul, as far as that goes). Zeal for the letter of the Law, or in Saul’s case, also its inverse, obsessed them both.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks

      Research Professor

      Alpha Christianity Project