24063Re: [XTalk] JUDAS THE SICARIOS

  • Jack Kilmon
    Feb 9, 2012
      Hi Ron, Dennis and Sid:

      The name of this person, if indeed he was historical, would have been
      Yehudah Bar Shymeon under normal convention of the times. It would also not
      be uncommon for him to be identified by his place of origin, "feller from
      Kerioth" much like Yeshua haNotsry rather than the name on his driver's
      license, Yeshua Bar Yahosef. Maryam Migdal-ytha, Yahosef haRamathaim,
      Shymeon Kanan-ytha. Although Aramaic was the common language, Hebrew was
      preserved in certain social pockets like the yahad at Qumran or the Beyt
      Hillel or Shammai, in place names and in personal names, as the IAA
      collection of ossuaries reveal. I would bet my matonnaise farm that these
      guys didn't sashay about Roman occupied Palestine in the 1st century with a
      name like "Jude, the guy with a big knife under his tunic for killing
      Romans" nor "Simon, a card-carrying zealot." Almost certainly they used
      their ordinary patronyms or toponyms but the NT books are overflowing with
      Ya'qubs (Jameses), Yahosef's (Josephs), Shymeons (Simon), Yehudahs
      (Jude/Judases) and Yeshua (Jesus) was the 6th most common name (Simon was
      the 1st). As I read the writings of the Gentile churchy types of later
      times, I can tell they were totally confused on which Jude, which James,
      which Simon was which. The first mention of our Judas, Ἰσκαριώτην (a Greek
      syntactic form of Ἰσκαριώθ) at Mark 3:19 in its Semitic form is an
      acceptable name and not a Latin loan. Among the multiple Ya'qubs (Jameses)
      I don't know if Jesus' brother was known as haTsaddik (the Righteous) and
      his two cousin/disciples as haGadol (the Great) and haZaor (the Lesser) or
      whether these are just back-reconstructions of Greek or Latin names given to
      them by the churchies to tell them apart. Even muckety-muck ecclesiastical
      types mix up the "Jameses" because some of them still get apoplectic over
      Jesus having siblings.

      I guess the bottom line is we don't know if this person was real (Jesus
      Barabbas wasn't, IMO), what his name was and how it was derived but "Judas,
      the knife" would have been crucified before Jesus was.

      Regards,

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      Houston, TX