23244Re: [XTalk] Re: "Discontinuity"

  • David Mealand
    Jun 20, 2009
      With regard to some of the items classed as "discontinuous"
      I am not sure that discontinuity is the best term
      for analysing the problematic criterion.

      In its early stages what happened was that
      form critics identified passages which belong
      to a transitional stratum, which goes beyond
      what it owes to Judaism, but without containing
      formulations which are arrived at in early Christianity.

      One could class this material as "transitional" though
      that term was not, as far as I am aware, used in the
      works which kicked off this kind of analysis of
      the tradition.

      Identifying passages or parts of passages which belong
      to the transitional phase does seem to me to be
      a viable and worthwhile way of proceeding.

      David M.

      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic