22495RE: [XTalk] Kee on Synagogues

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Dec 3, 2007
      Jeffrey:

      Also, please see Steven Fine's (ed.) book Jews, Christians, and
      Polytheists in the Ancient Synagogue (Routledge, 1999). In particular,
      for instance, Peter W. van der Horst ("Was the Synagogue a Place of
      Worship before 70 CE?") directly addresses' Kee's conclusions. BTW, he
      quoted Ed Sanders on this "Ed Sanders called Kee's article 'remarkably
      ill informed'". (and Ed's comment on this is from Jewish Law from Jesus
      to the Mishnah -- so add this also to Jeff Peterson's list of
      recommended resources. Van der Horst's article is very good, interacts
      broadly with other scholars including critics, and will address much of
      what you want.

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean
      Milligan College