22491Kee on Synagogues

    Dec 2, 2007
      If anyone here has access to the online NTS and is willing to down load
      some articles for me, I'd be grateful to receive the following articles
      by H.C. Kee on Synagogues:

      "The transformation of the synagogue after 70 CE : its import for early
      Christianity" New Testament Studies 36 (1990) 1-24.

      "The Changing Meaning of Synagogue : A response to Richard Oster.
      New Testament Studies 40 (1994) 281-283.

      "Defining the First-Century CE Synagogue : Problems and Progress",
      New Testament Studies 41 (1995) 481-500.

      as well as the one by Richard Oster that Kee replies to:

      "Supposed anachronism in Luke-Acts' use of synagoge : a rejoinder to H C
      Kee," New Testament Studies 39 (1993) 178-208.

      I'd also be interested in hearing what List Members think about the
      cogency of, and the assumptions behind, the claim that Robert Price
      makes in his _Deconstructing Jesus_ that the stories in the Gospels
      about Jesus in synagogues cannot be historical since for the gospel
      authors SUNAGWGE means a building and there's no archaeological
      evidence for synagogue buildings in Galilee before the second century:

      Then there are broader historical anachronisms that seem to
      vitiate the gospel controversy stories: Generally, the whole
      depiction of Jesus preaching in "their" synagogues is
      anachronistic, as there were virtually no synagogue buildings
      in Galilee till late in the first century C.E., after the
      flight of Pharisees and other refugees into Galilee (which
      "hated the Torah"). Luke even has a Gentile (a clone of his
      Cornelius character, Acts 10:1-4ff.) praised for bankrolling
      the construction of one synagogue (Luke 7:5). Apologist Howard
      Clark Kee admits this one is a problem but maintains that,
      otherwise, in gospel usage "synagogue" need mean no more than
      "assembly" or "meeting." But is this really likely? Mark has
      Jesus stop preaching "in" synagogues because the crowds are
      too large, presumably, for buildings to accommodate. Hence he
      assembles the Jews at the seaside or in the open. Would there
      be "rulers of the synagogue," like Jairus, if the synagogue in
      view were merely someone's porch? How about "the seat of
      Moses" and the "chief seats in the synagogues" in Matt. 23:2,
      6? Just someone's Naugahyde couch?

      (If you are interested in seeing what I make of it -- and how I've been
      dealt with because of what I've noted -- go to the discussion of Price's
      claim on the Internet Infidels Discussion Board of that you'll find
      here).

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois