21932Re: [XTalk] XTalkers on the tomb

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Mar 2, 2007
      At 09:38 AM 3/2/2007 -0500, Zeba Crook wrote:
      >So let me
      >start that process: I don't believe for a second that Jesus was
      >resurrected from the dead, but I have a problem with the notion that he
      >was married with children and yet the idea never appears, as hearsay,
      >as polemic, or as apology, in any ancient source, apocryphal or
      >otherwise.

      And it's not like early Christians were unconcerned about
      dynastic succession either. Eusebius, HE 4.22.4 passes on
      a report from Hegesippus that there was a split in Jerusalem
      between a certain Thebuthis and a relative of Jesus, Symeon
      son of Clopas, over who should be the next bishop. That there
      would be silence about Jesus's own issue in this context is
      telling.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...