21490Re: The census of Quirinius: Carlson's rendering of Lk. 2.2

  • dhindley@compuserve.com
    Sep 1, 2006

      <<I don't have a comment on the exchange between Ken Olson and Stephen Carlson, except to note that I just read Fabian Udoh's book *To Caesar What is Caesar's: Tribute, Taxes, and Imperial Administration in Early Roman Paelstine 63 B.C.E.-70 C.E.* (BJS 343; Providence, RI: Brown University Press, 2005), and I noted he has a good discussion of the census of Quirinius and other censuses (pp. 155-57, 211-19). (For a number of other matters as well, this is an important book for historical Jesus studies.)>>

      Yes, I read the dissertation that this book is based upon, and he makes some very interesting points, not just about the census. Many points he makes go against common opinion (for example, Udoh has a much more favorable view of Herod's rule than most critics grant him), although he does quantify his opinions very well. I had posted a review of this dissertation here on Crosstalk some while ago (favorably, by the way), but it drew no responses at all.

      Prof. Udoh also did not think it worthy of his time to respond to my emails asking about prospective publication date at that time. Maybe he was not an "email" kind of guy (not uncommon among some academics, I suppose). I'll have to get a copy of the book, now that it is finally out.

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio USA
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic