17886Re: [XTalk] Resurrection

  • Patrick Narkinsky
    Jan 1, 2005
      On Dec 31, 2004, at 10:44 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

      > The difference that most Christians would ascribe to
      > Jesus is that he is divine, being one person of the
      > triune Godhead, whereas everyone else who will be
      > resurrected (whether physically or spiritually) is
      > human, all too human.

      I would take a different tack: that Jesus was the "first fruits" of the
      general resurrection and that, by raising him from the dead, God has
      promised to do likewise for those who are "in" Christ. I take this to
      be Paul's take as well (see 1Cor 15.12-20).

      However, I doubt that that this is the average pew-sitter's view, at
      least in Evangelical circles. In my experience, their emphasis would
      be on Jesus' crucifixion resurrection as an act of atonement, and what
      was unique about Jesus was his innocence. That is, Jesus was a perfect
      sacrifice, without sin, who could therefore atone for the sins of all
      mankind. Those who take this point of view tend not to think of
      "heaven" in terms of resurrection, and even Jesus' resurrection would
      be emphasized much less than Jesus' crucifixion. Even the Left-Behind
      crowd talks about the general resurrection of the dead as being "raised
      up" or something, reserving the term "resurrection" for Jesus himself.

      Patrick

      --
      Patrick Narkinsky - patrick@...

      "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
      - Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
    • Show all 189 messages in this topic