15927Re: [XTalk] Herod Antipas

  • Mark Goodacre
    May 2, 2004
      On 1 May 2004 at 12:13, Jim West wrote:

      > Mark Goodacre has a nice bit on his blog today about the rather
      > effeminate portrayal of Herod in Gibson's film. I'm wondering if
      > there is anything in the sources about this?

      What about Matt. 11.7-8 // Luke 7.24-25? ""What did you go out into
      the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 7:25 What did you
      go out to see? A man dressed in fancy clothes? Look, those who wear
      fancy clothes and live in luxury are in kings' courts!" Theissen
      argues that this is a reference to Herod Antipas, who had reeds on
      his coins and who, of course, is the obvious contender for someone
      who lives royal luxury when one is speaking to a bunch of Galileans
      about John the Baptist. Could the "reed shaken by the wind" also be
      a clever play on a spineless, unmanly character, unable to stand up
      to his wife when she demands something of him? Mark 6.14-29 depicts
      Herod Antipas as contemptible by ancient standards, a man who, like
      Ahab to Jezebel, is swayed by the manipulations of his domineering
      wife.

      Mark
      Graduate Institute for Theology & Religion
      Dept of Theology
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Bristol Road tel.+44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic