12314Re: [XTalk] Historical Joseph? (was: Bethlehem, Galilee?)

  • Karel Hanhart
    Jan 6, 2003
      From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 8:13 PM
      Subject: Re: [XTalk] Historical Joseph? (was: Bethlehem, Galilee?)

      Gordon wrote,:

      > Thanks for the note. I guess you saw my last note to Sakari... in that
      I'd
      > give a greyish to pinkish vote for Jesus' Dad being Joseph the Tekton.

      In addition to my brief note re. 'son of Mary' in Mark 6,3 being a
      derogatory
      epithet made by persons hostile to Jesus, I should have added that
      'tekton' in this verse should be translated as 'templebuilder' because
      in the Septuagint the word refers almost always to the craftsmen who built
      the temple. This too was meant as an insult. Jesus' prophecy against a
      false temple cult also is referred to on 11, 15-18; 13,2, 14,58; 15,29.38.
      Matthew's version which you choose, appears to be an Matthean
      attempt to circumvent the crude insinuation in Mark's original version which
      could easily be misundertood by young or by new members of the ecclesia.

      But
      > this is just one more case where the data is so little and so open to lots
      > of explanations.

      True,

      yours cordially,

      Karel