10982RE: [XTalk] Mark

  • David C. Hindley
    Oct 5, 2002
      Bill Foley says:

      >>Paul at one point had thought Mark was a good for nothing - the issue
      separated Paul and Barnabas - and a reconciliation of sorts was effected
      only by Peter shoving Mark down Paul's throat, but some readers of the
      letters of Paul may still have mixed feelings about Mark.<<

      Where do you get that? "And Barnabas wanted to take with them John called
      Mark. But Paul thought best not to take with them one who had withdrawn from
      them in Pamphylia, and had not gone with them to the work. And there arose a
      sharp contention, so that they separated from each other; Barnabas took Mark
      with him and sailed away to Cyprus, but Paul chose Silas and departed, being
      commended by the brethren to the grace of the Lord." [RSV Acts 15:37-40]

      The only way you can imagine that Mark was "shoved" down Paul's throat by
      Peter is to read it into Acts 12:25, but the disagreement came after this
      event, not before it.

      >>Mark probably does not get out from under the dark cloud Paul put him in
      until he manages to send Revelations to the seven churches (assuming that
      the gMk is not truncated because of his death before he finished his
      gospel).<<

      I'm definitely lost now. What Revelations? What seven churches? Are you
      suggesting on the basis of Acts 12:25 ("And Barnabas and Saul returned from
      Jerusalem when they had fulfilled their mission, bringing with them John
      whose other name was Mark") that Mark was the John who wrote (at least) the
      part of the book of Revelation (2:1-3:22) that dealt with the seven
      churches?

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA