Genesis and the Early Church

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 1998
      In my reading of late I have seen just how much the early christians
      were concerned with the first three chapters of Genesis. The parts about
      being created in the image of god and God calling creation good has
      influenced christians in the first century to abhor discarding of
      infants and the selling of children to be trained to please aberrant
      sexual appetites, which were common pagan practices. In fact the
      creation story influenced the writer of the Declaration of Independence.
      This facination with Genesis 1-3 culminates in a 12 year debate between
      Augustine and Julian, both Bishops, on original sin. Unfortunately the
      church sides with Augustine after his death.
      Why all this you say? GThomas has many logion that the exegesis of show
      a facination with the first chapters of Genesis. This being the case it
      would be interesting to see how much this early church interest in
      Genesis 1-3 goes back to the first century. Whether or not a facination
      with Genesis 1-3 can be found in first century Christian writings might
      help us to date parts of GThomas.

      Paul Miller