Re: Pompous Academics Beware!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
      > From: Tom Simms

      > In Hugh J. Schonfield's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the
      > book with two Chapters on Christology, one on Paul's and one on
      > John's.
      >
      > You've been going over the same grain he winnowed. What I found
      > interesting of his review was his view of HOW and WHERE John
      > gained his knowledge of Paul's teachings. The analysis rein-
      > forces my view on the the early composition of John, something
      > the PA's on the List won't bother to consider, but then, nothing
      > will change THEIR minds.

      I could consider a bit better if I had something to go on.
      Did John gain his knowledge of Paul's teachings from a talking
      lion, as in the Acts of Philip, or from angelic revelation, or what?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
        On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:03:23 -0400, miser17@... writes:

        >> From: Tom Simms
        >
        >> In Hugh J. Schonfield's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the
        >> book with two Chapters on Christology, one on Paul's and one on
        >> John's.
        >>
        >> You've been going over the same grain he winnowed. What I found
        >> interesting of his review was his view of HOW and WHERE John
        >> gained his knowledge of Paul's teachings. The analysis rein-
        >> forces my view on the the early composition of John, something
        >> the PA's on the List won't bother to consider, but then, nothing
        >> will change THEIR minds.
        >
        >I could consider a bit better if I had something to go on.
        >Did John gain his knowledge of Paul's teachings from a talking
        >lion, as in the Acts of Philip, or from angelic revelation, or what?

        No, he lived in Ephesus and learned what Paul preached from
        Paul's followers. (Acts xix 13-19).

        The man is now gone and can't answer to the next paragraph on
        the page(244) where he talks of gnostic elements from Egypt working
        through "Jewish esotericism with Platonism in which ... Philo played
        no small part." Then he goes on through the next page on Philo
        which leads to Schonfield's antiphonal version of the Hymn that begins
        John's Gospel, an item I've already posted to the List.

        (See below)

        >Steve

        Tom

        THE LAST GOSPEL
        As an Antiphonal Reading in Twelve Verses:

        1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
        2.and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with
        God.
        3.All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made
        that was made.
        4.In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
        5.And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
        6.That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh
        into the world.
        7.He was in the world, and the and the world knew him not.
        world was made by him,
        8.He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
        9.And the Word was made flesh, and we beheld his glory,
        and dwelt among us,
        10.the glory as of the only begotten full of grace and truth.
        of the Father,
        11.And of his fulness have all we yes, grace for grace.
        received,
        12.For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by
        Jesus Christ.
      • Austin Meredith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 1998
          On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Tom Simms wrote:
          > In Hugh J. Schonfiled's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the book
          > with

          _Every_ book ends with