Re: Pompous Academics Beware!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
      > From: Tom Simms

      > In Hugh J. Schonfield's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the
      > book with two Chapters on Christology, one on Paul's and one on
      > John's.
      >
      > You've been going over the same grain he winnowed. What I found
      > interesting of his review was his view of HOW and WHERE John
      > gained his knowledge of Paul's teachings. The analysis rein-
      > forces my view on the the early composition of John, something
      > the PA's on the List won't bother to consider, but then, nothing
      > will change THEIR minds.

      I could consider a bit better if I had something to go on.
      Did John gain his knowledge of Paul's teachings from a talking
      lion, as in the Acts of Philip, or from angelic revelation, or what?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
        In Hugh J. Schonfiled's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the book
        with

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
            On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:03:23 -0400, miser17@... writes:

            >> From: Tom Simms
            >
            >> In Hugh J. Schonfield's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the
            >> book with two Chapters on Christology, one on Paul's and one on
            >> John's.
            >>
            >> You've been going over the same grain he winnowed. What I found
            >> interesting of his review was his view of HOW and WHERE John
            >> gained his knowledge of Paul's teachings. The analysis rein-
            >> forces my view on the the early composition of John, something
            >> the PA's on the List won't bother to consider, but then, nothing
            >> will change THEIR minds.
            >
            >I could consider a bit better if I had something to go on.
            >Did John gain his knowledge of Paul's teachings from a talking
            >lion, as in the Acts of Philip, or from angelic revelation, or what?

            No, he lived in Ephesus and learned what Paul preached from
            Paul's followers. (Acts xix 13-19).

            The man is now gone and can't answer to the next paragraph on
            the page(244) where he talks of gnostic elements from Egypt working
            through "Jewish esotericism with Platonism in which ... Philo played
            no small part." Then he goes on through the next page on Philo
            which leads to Schonfield's antiphonal version of the Hymn that begins
            John's Gospel, an item I've already posted to the List.

            (See below)

            >Steve

            Tom

            THE LAST GOSPEL
            As an Antiphonal Reading in Twelve Verses:

            1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
            2.and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with
            God.
            3.All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made
            that was made.
            4.In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
            5.And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
            6.That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh
            into the world.
            7.He was in the world, and the and the world knew him not.
            world was made by him,
            8.He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
            9.And the Word was made flesh, and we beheld his glory,
            and dwelt among us,
            10.the glory as of the only begotten full of grace and truth.
            of the Father,
            11.And of his fulness have all we yes, grace for grace.
            received,
            12.For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by
            Jesus Christ.
          • Austin Meredith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 1998
              On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Tom Simms wrote:
              > In Hugh J. Schonfiled's _Those Incredible Christians_ he ends the book
              > with

              _Every_ book ends with