Re: resurrection centrality

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 1998
      Ragu1997@... wrote:

      > 1) With it being nearly unanimous among researchers that Paul is quoting an
      > early hymn in ICor 15, Paul speaks of his conversion in Gal 1. Gal 1:18 speaks
      > of the time after his conversion: "Three years after that I went up to
      > Jerusalem to confer with Kephas, with whom I stayed fifteen days." 'Conferred'
      > has the connotation of getting info--and as Dodd quipped, we may presume that
      > they didn't talk about the weather; or, for that matter, recount snappy catch-
      > phrases from a cynic who was recently exposed as a fraud by his crucifixion.
      > As for Paul's development of his resurrection beliefs, Crossan himself
      > acknowledges that Paul had a Pharisaic (does that help a little?) view of the
      > resurrection, a view which Christ's resurrection fit into--Christ was the
      > firstfruits of them that sleep.

      I'm not going to jump into the comparison between Craig and Crossan. Paulquotes a
      number of earlier scriptural and apocryphal works and may even,
      at one point refer (arguably) to GThom. The discourse with the Corinthians
      takes place around 55 CE from Ephesus. The expulsion of the Jews,
      including early church, from Rome by Claudius had taken place around
      49. There are a number of datings in the works of Paul by his mention
      of historical personages (Gallio for instance) that allows us to place him
      in certain places at certain times. None of Paul's epistles predate 50, that
      I can see. I don't think Paul had a "focus" until after the "Jerusalem Council"
      in 49.

      Jack
      jkilmon@...