RE: ISHO!

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
      Hi,

      Here's a list most of the 'churches of the east' who see themselves as
      sharing a common syriac heritage:

      A. Church of the East (Eastern Part)

      a) Assyrian Church of the East - New Calendar
      b) Assyrian Church of the East - Old Calendar
      c) Chaldean Catholic Church
      d) Malabar Catholic Church

      B. Church of the East (Western Part)

      a) Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch including its church in India
      b) Syrian Orthodox of the autocephalous Church of India
      c) Syrian Catholic Church
      d) Maronite Catholic Church
      e) Malankara Catholic Church

      Here are a few web sites if you're interested:

      Assyrian Church of the East (so called Nestorian)

      http://www.cired.org

      Syrian Orthodox Church (so called Jacobite or Monophysite)

      http://www.syrianorthodoxchurch.org

      Mar Thoma Church (India)

      http://www.marthoma.com

      (As you might imagine the faithful in the Middle East have not had a
      terribly easy time for quite a bit....but they still just about survive and
      there are also syriac churches in the United States. But I wonder if syriac
      is still the first language for _any_ of the faithful - anyone know?)

      I have a tape of some part of the liturgy sung in Syriac - I presume it is
      the eucharist - but I'm unsure - anyone speak Syriac?

      Best wishes,
      Jacob Knee

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 1998
        Syriac still exists as the primary language in two mountain villages
        northwest of Damascus. It is not the same dialect as Palestinian
        Aramaic or the Galilean dialect of Western Aramaic spoken in
        the 1st century.

        Jack