Re: "the son of man is coming at an hour you don' t expect"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 1998
      At 06:20 PM 6/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
      >Mark Goodacre wrote

      Wow Mark- So the author of the gospels is now known!!!!!!!!
      I knew you to be a clever chap- but how ever did you manage to live so long?
      ;-O

      >Matt. 24.43: But know this, that if the householder had known in what
      >part of the night the thief was coming, he would have watched and
      >would not have let his house be broken into. 24.44 Therefore you also
      >must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not
      >expect.
      >
      >Luke 12.39: But know this, that if the householder had known at what
      >hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be
      >broken into. 12.40 You also must be ready; for the Son of man is
      >coming at an unexpected hour.
      >
      >Thomas 21b: Therefore I say to you, if the owner of a house knows
      >that the thief is coming, he will begin his vigil before he comes and
      >will not let him into his house of his domain to carry away his
      >goods. You, then, be on your guard against the world. Arm yourselves
      >with great strength lest the robbers find a way to come to you, for
      >the difficulty which you expect will (surely) materialize. Let there
      >be among you a man of understanding.
      >
      >Fellows:

      I sure hope none of our lady participants are listening!!

      >Do you think that "the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour" in
      >Matthew an Luke suggest a later addition?

      Later how? If you mean a textual addition after the completion (!) of the
      gospels, no. This is most certainly original with the authors themselves
      (Mark Goodacre, to be precise (he said with a wicked grin on his tortured,
      non smoke stained face).

      >Why must the Son of Man be
      >compared with a robber who we must guard against?

      he is not compared to a robber- the time of his coming is compared to the
      time of a thief's arrival.

      >Sure, the son of man rides on clouds and sits at the right hand of God. Sure
      >he girds himself with great strength. Sure he knows the thief. But why
      >should this transpose into a frightening view?

      Well, to be plain, apocalyptic thought as represented here is kinda scary.

      >Perhaps some of these ideas arose among the prophetic in the years before
      >the destruction of Jerusalem. Perhaps that was their dark contribution? Some
      >say that in the years after the death of James an apocalyptic view took hold.
      >I am sure that many of you out there are more versed than the writer about
      >the insertion of apocalyptic verse into the early teachings.

      !!!! Now here you are into a can o' worms- for we are not at all certain if
      Jesus was an apocalypticist or a philospher, or a cynic, or a sage, or a
      prophet, or a spirit possessed loon! For myself, I take him as a
      thoroughgoing apocalytpic prophet.

      >joe baxter
      >
      >P.S. There is also the possibility that the phrase originally had a
      >different meaning, e.g., (1) the son of man is born of spirit, and thus is
      >like the wind, which comes from who knows whence;

      huh? nope- sounds gnostic to me.

      >(2) the son of man draws
      >strength in this way, he leaves no tracks, he cannot be known by the world,
      >only he knows the world, he is like a thief who cannot be seen;

      Gnostic again.

      >(3) the
      >startling appearance and disappearance of Jesus after his resurrection;

      Never happened. At least, not in the flesh. Mayber a spiritual apparition,
      but nothing more than bad beans in my estimation.

      >"You men of Galilee, why stand there gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus,
      >who is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as you
      >have seen him go into heaven." Acts 11.

      Actually Jesus didn't say this- the angels did. (But they dont exist- so
      its a story!!!!)

      Jim West, ThD
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      Adjunct Professor of Bible,