(Fwd) Re: Thomasine discussions

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 1998
      Forwarded message:
      From: Self </S Davies>
      To: crosstalk
      Subject: Re: Thomasine discussions
      Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 18:44:06

      Jim West wrote:

      > >Jesus sayings/traditions > Q > Syn/Thomas > John (!). Along the way each
      > >adding material intended to make the Jesus tradition a living one to their
      > >own respective communities.
      > >
      > >Thats how I see it- and how the material seems to flow (IM(very)HO).

      I don't think you should keep seeing it that way. NOBODY else thinks
      Q underlies Thomas or vice versa. Or that Thomas has any literary
      relationship to John. And only a very few think the synoptics somehow
      literarily underly John. So you have kinda backed yourself in a
      corner where your ideas are verging on the wacko.

      Steve
      Stevan Davies
      Professor of Religious Studies
      College Misericordia, Dallas, Pennsylvania, USA
      The Gospel of Thomas Homepage
      http://www.epix.net/~miser17/Thomas.html