(Fwd) Re: The Thomas/Q Hypothesis

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 1998
      Forwarded message:
      From: Self </S Davies>
      To: crosstalk
      Subject: Re: The Thomas/Q Hypothesis
      Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:34:45

      Bob wrote:
      > I think that what Mark is hinting at here, and which you sidestep, comes
      > down to the meaning assigned to "special Luke" and "special Matthew." I
      > think that Mark has in mind that "special Luke" = "distinctively Luke",
      > i.e., not just a residual category, but a category with definable Lukan
      > interests, and "special Matthew" = "distinctively Matthew" in the same
      > sense (but with a very different editorial slant.) If this meaning of SL
      > and SM is correct, then it is not plausible that a non-Lukan non-Matthean
      > Thomas could give rise to both.

      I certainly hope he's not doing this, but if he is he should stop and
      look at the material in question and see if he would like to assign
      it to such "distinctively" categories. I don't think anybody else
      ever has.

      > I believe that you, on the other hand, tend to view SL and SM as
      > collections from different strands of the oral tradition, i.e., that
      > "special Luke" is merely a residual category that does not reflect
      > interests original with Luke, and similarly for Matthew.

      That's right.

      > I don't know how this difference can be resolved. Where one sits on this
      > issue will depend on how "creative" you think Luke and Matthew were, versus
      > how much oral tradition you think they were able to (selectively) draw from.

      If the "distinctively" is correct, then arguments to that effect
      should be made that are convincing.

      The difficulty here, though, is that since Mt and Lk certainly chose
      materials from OrTr that they approved of and that fit their own
      narrative projects, it can always be argued that saying X, since it
      fits Mt's or Lk's particular ways of looking at things could have
      been invented by Mt or Lk for that purpose. Does saying X fit
      the purpose since it was chosen out of OrTr in order to do so, or was
      it invented in order to do so? The simple observation that a SpLk
      saying fits into Luke's agendas won't distinguish between those
      possibilities.

      I think the general consensus is that neither Matthew nor Luke was
      prone to just make short sayings up... the jury is out on whether
      they tended to make up long parables like the wheat and tares, the
      prodigal son, the good samaritan (I think they probably did). But the
      sorts of things that are common to Sp Mt and Sp Lk and GTh... I would
      be interested to know if anybody anywhere had ever proposed that any
      of these were invented by Mt or Lk (and if so, how is this known?)

      > I tend to want to side with you on this one, but rather cogent arguments
      > have been advanced on CrossTalk for Luke's special contributions to the
      > Gospel tradition.

      It's rum. I worry about the impact of cleverness on these sorts of
      things. Human minds find order in chaos by instinct. Clever minds are
      particularly good at that. So how, forinstance, can anyone show that
      Mark Goodacre, who finds Luke to be re-ordering carefully Matthew's
      sayings order (where most others find Luke's sayings material to be
      relatively chaotic) is wrong? The propositions "Luke had this
      rationale for doing what he did" and "If Luke had a rationale for
      doing what he did, here is what is probably was" are two different
      things.

      It worries me about Valentasis' book on Thomas that he can show the
      tight ideological consistency within Thomas' apparently chaotic
      sayings by interpreting them all in a certain way. But is this
      Valentasis' cleverness, or Thomas'?

      Similarly, if somebody comes along and says, "I can show how this and
      that special Mt or Lk saying could have been invented by Mt or Lk"
      one shouldn't be immediately impressed but think "could have been,
      yes, I suppose so, but was it?"

      So, as mentioned above, we know that there are Lukan factors at work
      in either the selection of material from tradition or in the
      invention of material. In the latter case it may be possible to speak
      in literary terms, how a passage in Mt or Lk is particularly typical
      of the literary style of those authors.... but even this is likely to
      be based on slim evidence (short sayings just don't have many data
      points to work with). If sayings just fit like hand in glove to an
      author's particular ideology (like the suffering son of man sayings
      in Mark, e.g.) then one has pretty good grounds to think Mark wrote
      them. Matthew, I think, is pretty well agreed to have some
      distinctive traits of invention in his writing... "wailing and
      gnashing of teeth" comes to mind... but I think it's pretty well
      known that these traits are conspicuously lacking in Thomas.

      So... until somebody comes along and shows that the GTh sayings
      in SpMt or SpLk are invented by Mt or Lk you don't need to worry.
      Nobody has ever done this. Many have surely tried... it would be strong
      evidence for the prevailing but very weak argument that Th is
      dependent.... but even amongst their thin and often desperate efforts
      one doesn't find that particular line of thought.

      Steve
      Stevan Davies
      Professor of Religious Studies
      College Misericordia, Dallas, Pennsylvania, USA
      The Gospel of Thomas Homepage
      http://www.epix.net/~miser17/Thomas.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 1998
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 1998