Christian

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 1999
      Some time ago someone of you ladies in the knitting circle put forward the
      notion that "Christian" was a relatively early, datable term used towards
      the believers in the Jesus religion. Who might that have been? What was the
      datable evidence? I have just fallen over Epictetus, who had spent a long
      time in Rome first as a slave, then as a paid up philosopher, before he
      retired to Greece where Appian wrote up his recollections amongst which is
      a negative reference to the Galileans -- which to my mind is a direct
      indication of those who followed Jesus. Why would Epictetus have used
      "Galilean" if the term of currency was "Christian"?