Re: Greek translators needed!

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 1999
      At 11:43 AM 5/24/99 -0600, Bernard Muller wrote:
      >Second, I would like to be helped on a passage from Eusebius' The
      >History of the Church, Book I, 12. After quoting the debated
      >Testimonium Flavianum, Eusebius wrote as part of his comments "When a
      >historian sprung from the Hebrews has furnished in his own writing an
      >almost contemporary record of John the Baptist and our Saviour too".
      >This is a translation, possibly not a correct one (there are different
      >others!).
      >My question is as follows: can a Greek scholar give me a translation
      >which is literal, to the point and with no bias on that particular
      >passage?

      The passage is actually H.E. I.11.9, not I, 12. I can't disclaim any
      bias, but I would woodenly, literally render the beginning part as
      something like (translating the genitive absolute extremely literally):
      "The historian from the Hebrews themselves by origin in his own writing
      having handed down these things about John the Baptist and our savior..."

      >does *record* (with no 's') show in the Greek?

      It appears that "record" corresponds to TAUTA = 'these things.'

      >Another one for your consideration:
      >What would be the most literal translation for the title of Book I,
      >section 11, of the same "The History of the Church"?

      "The Evidence about John the Baptist and the Christ"

      >Thank you in advance.

      I hope it helps.

      Stephen Carlson
      --