Re: birch bark bible

  • joseph baxter
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 1999
      At 11:33 PM 5/2/99 +0200, Ian wrote:

      >>>Bhavishya Maha Purana, one of the sixteen Maha Puranas.
      >
      >Just a little more on this interesting religious text that shows:
      >
      >The book also seems to mention the prophet Mohammed as well as Queen Victoria!
      >Just an illiterate man with the epithet Teacher, Muhammad by name, came
      >along with his companions. Raja (Bhoja in a vision) to that Great Diva,
      >that denizen of Arabia, purifying with the Ganges water and with the five
      >things of cow offered sandal wood and pay worship to him. O denizen of
      >Arabia and Lord of the holies, to thee is my adoration. O thou who hast
      >found many ways and means to destroy the devils of the world. O pure one
      >from among the illiterates, O sinless one, the spirit of the truth and
      >absolute master, to thee is my adoration. Accept me at thy feet. (Bhavishya
      >Purana Parv 3, Khand 3, Adhya 3, Shalok 5-8)

      So tell me, dear friend, what library do you have access to? Clearly you
      must be inside the Vatican library, as Tom said, to get this stuff.
      Notwithstanding that, you are clearly reading a much later version. may
      you be blessed with cow offerings until you answer my question.

      joe

      joe
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 1999
        >So tell me, dear friend, what library do you have access to? Clearly you
        >must be inside the Vatican library, as Tom said, to get this stuff.
        >Notwithstanding that, you are clearly reading a much later version. may
        >you be blessed with cow offerings until you answer my question.

        Hey, Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?

        I think by now we've seen that you've got nothing up your sleave. You're
        the one who is supposed to have the textual support for your ravings.
        Haven't you *even* got a copy of the Bhavishya Purana? <grin>

        Come clean, Joey. Who's your source? Deardorf? Ahmadiyya literature? Menon?

        Ian
      • joseph baxter
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 1999
          At 12:44 AM 5/3/99 +0200, you wrote:
          >>So tell me, dear friend, what library do you have access to? Clearly you
          >>must be inside the Vatican library, as Tom said, to get this stuff.
          >>Notwithstanding that, you are clearly reading a much later version. may
          >>you be blessed with cow offerings until you answer my question.
          >
          >Hey, Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?

          Who's got the Beretta, my friend?

          >I think by now we've seen that you've got nothing up your sleave. You're
          >the one who is supposed to have the textual support for your ravings.
          >Haven't you *even* got a copy of the Bhavishya Purana? <grin>
          >
          >Come clean, Joey. Who's your source? Deardorf? Ahmadiyya literature? Menon?

          Sorry, my friend, but I didn't think you wanted cites. But I forgot that
          you are sitting at your terminal in the Vatican library. The edition I am
          referring to is entitled "Bhavishya Maha Purana" and was published in 1910
          by the Oriental Research Library, University of Kashmir, Srinegar. It
          contains a copy of the original Sanskrit manuscript in the Shardic
          alphabet. See ch. 3, ,sec2, shloka 9-31. There is also a 1917 version
          published by the Venkateshvaria Press in Bombay. There is also a 1910
          edition published by the Oriental Research Institute in Poona, India.

          For a recent translation by a team of Kashmiri University professors, and
          recent photographs of the birch bark papyrus, see Professor Fida Hassnain's
          "A Search For The Historical Jesus", published by Gateway Books in Bath, in
          1994.

          As for Jeffrey Gibson's and your comments about "Sutta," the ancient
          author is referred to as "Pandit Sutta." That doesn't sound like a sutra.

          I hope this information is of some use. In the future, if you want citable
          reference works, please be more specific, and I will be happy to oblige.

          With kind regards,

          Joe

          joe
        • Legendmyth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 1999
            If Jesus--And this is a real big if--went East, why does it follow that it
            was after the cross?

            The old theory is that the East (India) was where is spent the "lost years."
            The writings are first century. So are the Gospels. I would assume there
            was more than one bloke running around with the name of Jesus or Yeshu--just
            look at Mexico! The romantic in me (theological romantic, that is) would
            love to believe that J. spent his lost years in India walking on water and
            further amazing the local spiritual adepts. The realist in me says no way!

            Sarah
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 1999
              At 18.28 02/05/99 -0700, joseph baxter wrote:
              >At 12:44 AM 5/3/99 +0200, you wrote:
              >>>So tell me, dear friend, what library do you have access to? Clearly you
              >>>must be inside the Vatican library, as Tom said, to get this stuff.
              >>>Notwithstanding that, you are clearly reading a much later version. may
              >>>you be blessed with cow offerings until you answer my question.
              >>
              >>Hey, Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?
              >
              >Who's got the Beretta, my friend?
              >>
              >>I think by now we've seen that you've got nothing up your sleave. You're
              >>the one who is supposed to have the textual support for your ravings.
              >>Haven't you *even* got a copy of the Bhavishya Purana? <grin>
              >>
              >>Come clean, Joey. Who's your source? Deardorf? Ahmadiyya literature? Menon?
              >
              >Sorry, my friend, but I didn't think you wanted cites. But I forgot that
              >you are sitting at your terminal in the Vatican library. The edition I am
              >referring to is entitled "Bhavishya Maha Purana" and was published in 1910
              >by the Oriental Research Library, University of Kashmir, Srinegar. It
              >contains a copy of the original Sanskrit manuscript in the Shardic
              >alphabet. See ch. 3, ,sec2, shloka 9-31. There is also a 1917 version
              >published by the Venkateshvaria Press in Bombay. There is also a 1910
              >edition published by the Oriental Research Institute in Poona, India.
              >
              >For a recent translation by a team of Kashmiri University professors, and
              >recent photographs of the birch bark papyrus, see Professor Fida Hassnain's
              >"A Search For The Historical Jesus", published by Gateway Books in Bath, in
              >1994.

              Now that you've admitted your major source, you should take the time to
              look at theworks cited by Fida Hassnain (who is a Sufi teacher and retired
              professor). Such wonderfully trustworthy works as: "Jesus Lived in India"
              by Holger Kersten, "The Gospel of Bartholomew" (big favourite for you
              Ahmadiyyan fans), "The Crucifixion by an Eyewitness" (a Freemason
              circulated work which has conveniently disappeared -- oops we can scratch
              that one), and pseudo-Essene fantasies of Szekely (the sort of thing you
              find in quaint theosophy bookstores -- need I say more?).

              >I hope this information is of some use.

              Yes, very revealing.

              >In the future, if you want citable
              >reference works, please be more specific, and I will be happy to oblige.

              Joey, the citable stuff is with regard to dating and sourcing of original
              materials. You haven't done so. You have only hinted at a tertiary source's
              comments on secondary sources' comments. I want to know how you can
              actually date your one slim excerpt from the Bhavishya Purana which uses an
              Arabic form of the name of Jesus, suggesting some time after the Islamic
              conquest of northern India. What techniques were used in the dating of the
              birch bark text? Who has validated the dating techniques? I am asking for a
              scholarly approach to the dating of the bbb. Without it you are in the dark
              (one of your favourite hangouts). Do I need to get more specific than that?
              The text itself shows clear reworking over several centuries. I wonder if
              Bill Clinton'll make it in as well...

              I see nothing substantive for you to hold onto your seemingly ridiculous
              position regarding Jesus' "survival after the crucifixion".

              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 1999
                At 23.44 02/05/99 EDT, Legendmyth@... wrote:
                >If Jesus--And this is a real big if--went East, why does it follow that it
                >was after the cross?

                In fact, Sarah, some writers have also proposed this idea. However, both
                flights make one ask, as we are taking flights, why on earth would he want
                to go to India?

                >The old theory is that the East (India) was where is spent the "lost
                years."
                >The writings are first century. So are the Gospels. I would assume there
                >was more than one bloke running around with the name of Jesus or Yeshu--just
                >look at Mexico! The romantic in me (theological romantic, that is) would
                >love to believe that J. spent his lost years in India walking on water and
                >further amazing the local spiritual adepts. The realist in me says no way!

                The romantic D.H.Lawrence wrote a novella called "The Man Who Died" or "The
                Escaped Cock", about a resuscitated Jesus getting off with a priestess of
                Isis and finding out about life. The situation is quite pregnant for the
                romantic mind.

                Ian
              • Christ Thomas
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 1999
                  Legendmyth@... wrote:

                  > If Jesus--And this is a real big if--went East, why does it follow that it
                  > was after the cross?
                  >
                  > The old theory is that the East (India) was where is spent the "lost years."
                  > The writings are first century. So are the Gospels. I would assume there
                  > was more than one bloke running around with the name of Jesus or Yeshu--just
                  > look at Mexico! The romantic in me (theological romantic, that is) would
                  > love to believe that J. spent his lost years in India walking on water and
                  > further amazing the local spiritual adepts. The realist in me says no way!
                  >
                  > Sarah

                  Yes, Sarah, that is far fetched, isn't it.
                • Shahina Amin
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 1999
                    Dear Ian,

                    If Joe is an Ahmadi in disguise I would certainly like to know that. Why
                    does it make you suspicious that just because he believes in an aspect
                    about Jesus' life/death that the Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam holds that he
                    must be a secret Ahmadi?

                    Haven't we already discussed this issue of Jesus' survival from the cross
                    and ending up in Kashmir, India enough times already? I certainly don't
                    mind this discussion to go on forever but when one is not convinced the
                    first time maybe he won't be later either.

                    Peace
                    Shahina
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 1999
                      On Mon, 03 May 1999 00:44:34 +0200, mc2499@... writes:

                      >>So tell me, dear friend, what library do you have access to? Clearly you
                      >>must be inside the Vatican library, as Tom said, to get this stuff.
                      >>Notwithstanding that, you are clearly reading a much later version. may
                      >>you be blessed with cow offerings until you answer my question.
                      >
                      >Hey, Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand?
                      >
                      >I think by now we've seen that you've got nothing up your sleave. You're
                      >the one who is supposed to have the textual support for your ravings.
                      >Haven't you *even* got a copy of the Bhavishya Purana? <grin>
                      >
                      >Come clean, Joey. Who's your source? Deardorf? Ahmadiyya literature? Menon?
                      > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                      And, pray tell, Ian, do you only consult non-sectarian sources? If
                      so, you can't know much. Even most pagan material is polemical.

                      Two Tomb Simms (I don't have to go dig, I tell 'em where to.)

                      >Ian

                    • Christ Thomas
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 1999
                        Christ Thomas wrote:

                        > Legendmyth@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If Jesus--And this is a real big if--went East, why does it follow that it
                        > > was after the cross?
                        > >
                        > > The old theory is that the East (India) was where is spent the "lost years."
                        > > The writings are first century. So are the Gospels. The realist in me says no way!
                        > >
                        > > Sarah
                        >
                        > Yes, Sarah, that is far fetched, isn't it.

                        Ezek. 10:10 And as for their appearances, they four had one likeness,
                        as if a wheel had been in the midst of a wheel.

                        Ezek. 10:14 And every one had four faces: the first face was the face
                        of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third
                        the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.

                        By far, one of the most interesting aspects of a sighting of Jesus in
                        India, after the resurrection, in that the rumor has persisted for over
                        two thousand years. That within it’s self is something for one to
                        ponder. There is an excellent reason, found within the scriptures, to
                        discount a sighting and another reason why such a rumor would still
                        persist. The children of God have one likeness. They all look alike.
                        Ezekiel told you that. Quite simply, they saw the Twin Brother of Jesus.

                        Ezek. 1:5 Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four
                        living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness
                        of a man.
                        Ezek. 1:16 The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto
                        the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their
                        appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a
                        wheel.
                        Ezek. 1:28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the
                        day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This
                        was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I
                        saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

                        Ezek. 2:1 And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I
                        will speak unto thee.

                        Ezek. 2:2 And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and
                        set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me.

                        The Twin Brother of Jesus, that went to India after the death of Jesus,
                        you all know, except for the doubters, was Judas Didymus Thomas.

                        Matt. 13:55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? is not his mother called
                        Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and JUDAS?
                        John 11:16 Then said THOMAS, which is called DIDYMUS, unto his
                        fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
                        Acts 20:4 And there accompanied him into Asia and Timotheus; and of
                        Asia,

                        The name THOMAS is the acts and other new testaments is spelled
                        TIMOTHEUS. The misspelling was one of those adulterated acts that
                        allowed the RC church to deceive the earth. That was one of the ways she
                        could exalt Peter and make him the head of her church. She just hid the
                        name Thomas with an ancient spelling.

                        Why would the sighting of Jesus in India be less plausible? Because
                        after the resurrection he did not have the same likeness. He rose in
                        another form.

                        Mark 16:11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had
                        been seen of her, believed not.

                        Mark 16:12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as
                        they walked, and went into the country.

                        The children of God all have one likeness. If Jesus was observed in
                        India he would have been in the latter form which no one would have
                        recognized.

                        Thomas lived in India until his own murder and built Seven Churches
                        there. They are still there. Quite simply the Twin Brother of Jesus was
                        mistaken for Jesus.

                        Thomas
                      • joseph baxter
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 1999
                          Tone down the polemics, Ian, I think you have forgotten the context of our
                          discussion, which had to do with hypotheses, such as the hypothesis re the
                          name of the man, and hypotheses to explain certain reported Asian facts
                          such as the Seat of Solomon temple inscriptions, and other *reported*
                          facts, including the one you are currently frothing at the mouth about. (If
                          you have a hypothesis which explains the large body of reported Asian
                          facts, or any of these reported facts, that is fair game for discussion.)
                          I will respond to your message as time permits.

                          With kind regards,

                          Joe

                          joe
                        • Christ Thomas
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 1999

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 4, 1999
                              At 09.22 03/05/99 -0700, joseph baxter wrote:
                              >Tone down the polemics, Ian,

                              Polemics, Joe? Naaa, I don't have an agenda -- other than "coherent
                              balanced analysis along scientific lines", if you want to call that an agenda.

                              >I think you have forgotten the context of our
                              >discussion,

                              Definitely not. My first comment was to Jack for asking "Birch Bark
                              Scripture? Wuzzat?" It was you who introduced this "Birch Bark Scripture"
                              stuff and I merely commented on the evidence -- or better the lack of it.

                              >which had to do with hypotheses, such as the hypothesis re the
                              >name of the man,

                              As to such a hypothesis, I have already stated my position: the texts are
                              in Greek and probably none was written anywhere near Judea; no-one has
                              established a historical person at the core of the Jesus literature, so one
                              can't make presuppositions as to a non-historical person's place of
                              residence; all we therefore have is a Greek name of a literary personality.

                              >and hypotheses to explain certain reported Asian facts
                              >such as the Seat of Solomon temple inscriptions, and other *reported*
                              >facts, including the one you are currently frothing at the mouth about.

                              It's hard for you to overcome the necessity to believe. It overshadows your
                              ability to test your surrogate hypotheses. All fall down with the
                              incredible notion of a Jesus surviving his crucifixion, the first hurdle
                              you have failed to deal with. (The second is lack of credible dating for
                              your "Asian facts".)

                              >(If
                              >you have a hypothesis which explains the large body of reported Asian
                              >facts, or any of these reported facts, that is fair game for discussion.)

                              Naturally, as indications of a Jesus in India started cropping up with
                              Mirza and the "discovery" of the tomb of Jesus, I can see no reason for
                              looking further afield.

                              >I will respond to your message as time permits.

                              It might be better, if you can't add anything substantive (as you haven't
                              so far), that you get the substance first.

                              Cheers,