Re: Ian's 160 wall (Jack)

  • Jon Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 1999
      Jack wrote:

      > I also do not
      > believe the social, cultural and christological context
      > and audience for GMatthew existed in 50.

      Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? What changes occurred to create a
      context for Matt. and approximately when, do you think?

      Many thanks,

      Jon
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 1999
        Jon Peter wrote:

        > Jack wrote:
        >
        > > I also do not
        > > believe the social, cultural and christological context
        > > and audience for GMatthew existed in 50.
        >
        > Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? What changes occurred to create a
        > context for Matt. and approximately when, do you think?

        I think the Matthean scribe was motivated to write his gospel by the
        institution of the Birkhat ha Minim around 85 CE. I think that, as
        an Hellenistic Jew, he was observing increased participation in the
        gentile movement and decreased participation by Jews. His gospel
        was directed at the Hellenistic Jews of Asia Minor..probably Antioch..
        and was saying, "Hey! This is a Jewish thingy because it was written
        here and it was written there, etc." If, as Thiede claims, GMatt was
        written around 50ish, this would place Mark even earlier...and perhaps
        even Luke (depending on what side of the Luke/Matthew priority date
        one falls).

        Additionally, the virgin birth myth and the trinitarian thingamabob
        found in Matthew suggests a date much later than the Pauline corpus
        which makes no mention of either. I think that Matthew was engaging
        in aggadic midrash which gentiles, not understanding this style
        of literature, took literally. These concepts do not appear to
        have been developed until the last quarter of the 1st century.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net