Re: Is violence at the heart of Christianity?

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 1999
      At 02:04 PM 4/3/99 EST, Mm4csjr16@... wrote:
      >I think the "violence in Christianity" talk is more about Roman influence
      >than about the earliest disciples of Jesus and even his method of death. This
      >is a little later than the events in the study of the Historic Jesus and is
      >probably more appopriate to mailing lists dealing with early Christian
      >History (I'd love any of those addresses).

      Even so, I do wonder how "non-violent" the earliest disciples were. For
      example, none of the gospels shirk from mentioning that some disciple of
      Jesus carried (and used) a sword in the garden of Gethsemane. As another
      example, one of the twelve disciples was related to be Simon the Zealot/
      Cananaean.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...